🍏 Twelve

Layla changed her plans and stayed in town to eat dinner at Red View's most popular restaurant. She'd calmed down since the argument with Dawson—mostly thanks to his parents—but wasn't eager to sit down across from him and pretend nothing had happened. If nothing else, it gave her a chance to explore the town and enjoy what it had to offer. 

She'd spent the day poking around in small shops, buying clothes and trinkets she didn't need, and trying to get her mind on anything other than Dawson or weddings. Now, she was ready to settle in for a meal and satiate her growling stomach while listening to the sounds of the river and Red View's quiet nightlife.

Rushing Waters sat right near the river and offered beautiful outdoor dining right by the brook. Round, industrial styled tables sat under the fairy lights strung from the oak trees that surrounded the terrace. Even after the sun had set, the small section of the river bank remained bathed in a warm glow. But as Layla sat alone amongst a sea of couples and families, she couldn't stop the feeling of loneliness from seeping into her.

She'd eaten hundreds of dinners alone. Why did it suddenly feel different now that she knew what it was like to sit down at a table with a family that was filled with warm conversation? It made her even angrier at Dawson—if it weren't for his obtrusive questions, she wouldn't be trying to avoid him. She could've had another evening with the McAden's instead of getting a poorly-hidden look of sympathy from the hostess when she asked for a table for one.

Still, the night wasn't so bad. There was a small part of her that even enjoyed the time alone to recuperate. She was still getting used to being around people everyday—people who were more than just clients or coworkers. People who actually wanted to talk to her about more than weights and cardio.

It was late when Layla got back to the orchard, so she used the key Kenzie had given her to get inside. Even in the dark, the moon casting long shadows on the hardwood, there was something about the house that was comforting. Something that had her taking in a deep breath as she rested against the front door, letting it out in a long sigh. It would be so much easier to hate it, to never want to come back. She wished she could see it all through the same lens as her parents did. Just some random town, some random family in the middle of Nowhere, USA. 

But in her heart, in a place she'd never been aware of before, she knew that wasn't possible. There was something here that would stick with her for the rest of her life. Maybe it was the bond of the McAdens, or the community of Red View, the views or the sweet smell of the breeze. Maybe it was everything all at once. Whatever it was, it had a hold on her, and it didn't feel like she'd be free of it anytime soon.

As far as she could tell from the quiet and darkness, everyone else was asleep. It wasn't a surprise—running the orchard and preparing for the wedding took a lot of energy, and she'd learned quickly that the McAden's were an early to bed, early to rise type of family. She crept upstairs, not wanting to wake anyone, and slept soundly until her alarm woke her.

Dawson didn't join the morning workout, something she was both grateful for and annoyed by. She didn't want to talk to him—so why did she want him to talk to her? 

She wished he would apologize, but knew there was nothing to apologize for. He was right, after all, and he was only sticking up for his family. It wasn't just the fact that he'd insulted her morals that was ticking her off, it was that in the process, he'd shown how solid his were in comparison.

She needed to get her mind off of him somehow. Yesterday's trip into town clearly didn't help much, so she figured it would be pointless to head out again just in hopes of avoiding him. Instead, she took Kenzie up on the offer she made as they were finishing up with some stretches, and after a brisk shower she headed downstairs to meet her in the kitchen for candle-making.