🍏 Thirty

In the sunny, early morning after another invigorating workout, Layla followed Dawson through the rows of apple trees. It was a walk together, disguised as a tour while he checked for any warning signs of pests or disease before the next season.

Kenzie and Marshall were gone for the morning to see the latest updates on the construction of their house. Jack was cooped up in his office like usual, and Adam was busy manning the store like always. Apart from the few other workers like Lee and Frank, who were scattered around the orchard, no one was around to catch them. Still, Layla's mind raced with worry—what if someone saw them in a compromising position and word got back to Kenzie? If they were careless, it could ruin everything.

"So when fall's over, what then?" Layla questioned as the leaves rustled over their heads. Birds chirped from somewhere nearby, and the gentle breeze caressed her skin. Soon, she knew, the weather would turn blustery and eventually bitter cold. The hills would be covered in brilliant, sparkling white, and the trees would bare themselves for the winter. "Do you get a break in the winter?"

An amused sound came from his throat. "Hardly. We spend most of the winter planning as much as we can for the entirety of the next year. And with the way Jack's been lately, getting a new idea every week, I'll be lucky if he doesn't want to turn this place into a damn Christmas tree farm."

She laughed, but the joke had her mind wandering. What was a McAden Christmas like? That beautiful living room was probably brightened with a real tree, not like the artificial one her parents pulled out of storage every year. She pictured old, colorful ornaments, each with its own story. Homemade pies and cookies for Santa. Piles of thoughtful gifts under the tree for everyone to open in their warmest pajamas.

Warm, cozy, and fun. Even they had their problems, she knew—Jack and Dawson always at each others throats, and Cliff being gone for so many years now without so much as a visit. But despite it, she found herself yearning to be a part of the memories they all shared. She got the feeling that most people wouldn't be lucky enough to have ones half as pleasant.

"So... what if you end up staying?" Dawson asked, hand brushing against hers. The desire to link their fingers together ached in her chest, but she knew it was too much of a risk. "What happens with your parents?"

"Well..." Layla thought about it for a second, letting her gaze move up to the blue sky littered with fluffy white clouds. It was a question she'd been thinking a lot about herself, lately. If it wasn't for the weight of the merger that was resting on her shoulders, the answer would be a lot more optimistic. But as it was, she knew the damage would take time to repair.

"They'd forgive me," she finally answered. "If I leave the business—the merger—they'll be angry, I know that. But I can deal with that. What I'm more worried about is them being upset, or offended. They've worked so hard, and I'll be throwing their gift of a secure future right in their face."

"You have a right to your own life, Layla."

"I know. And in their own way, they know that, too. I just don't know if they'll ever understand. They'll forgive me for it, and eventually I think they'll even support me. But I just can't picture them ever really getting it."

"You know, my parents didn't understand why my brother wanted to be a musician at first."

The words had Layla turning to him in abrupt surprise. It didn't align with how she thought of Roman and Lillie Mae, especially since they always seemed to mention their oldest son with such pride. "Really?"

Dawson nodded. "Dad wanted Cliff to own this place someday. Mom was just worried he'd never make it—but she'd never admit to that now."

"How'd he change their minds?"