"Dancing in the Rain" by @icevel

Today, we are featuring the winning Short Story of the Contest "Write to Change" by WattpadShortStory

The Short Story was based on the following prompt:

The history of mental health is often stained with stigma and stereotypes. Express how brave athletes, actors, dancers, or even students have managed to overcome mental health struggles and/or stereotypes, to achieve their dreams and goals.

Note: Please ensure that the entries highlight and convey a positive message. It should in no way carry graphic depictions of violence and themes that may be uncomfortable for readers.

And here is the winning Short Story "Dancing in the Rain" by icevel, thank you for your wonderful story!

*****

HEAVY heart and tears falling from her eyes. The disappointment was overwhelming. She knew that she messed up knowing that she is the center. With her puffy eyes, she fell asleep.

She knew that when she woke up, she'd still blame herself for what happened. Despite the fact that people cheered for her, she was still disappointed. Heartaches from performing are more unbearable than heartaches from a relationship.

Little by little she can hear her co-dancers chattering. They were happy, unlike her, most likely grieving from her utterly unattractive performance.

As time passed by, she decided to go outside and stroll around the campus. She then realizes, instead of cheering herself, she was once again crying. She headed to her class adviser at her faculty.

She was the boy who helped her with her shoes. He saw her crying and shifted all his attention to her. "Aife, why are you crying?" She smiled weakly, "I messed up my performance." Her tears are continuously falling.

He held her arms, "No. You did great. My eyes were just looking at you. My classmates are amused by how you dance. We think you are amazing." He smiled at her and it also made her smile.

She still went to her class adviser, "Mama? Are you here?" She asked as she knocked and opened the door. "Yes, Dear. I'm here." Her adviser replied. She then started to cry again. "Mama, I messed up my performance. I made mistakes. I ruined the performance."

Her puffy eyes were once again red. Her adviser looked at her and sighed. "My dear, you did great. I'm impressed with your performance. I'm very proud of you. You know, no one said anything about "your mistake" because we didn't see anything. You know what's your mistake, that's why you think you ruined your performance, but you didn't, My dear. You did great."

She was touched by her adviser's sweet words. She hugged her tightly and kissed her head. "Thank you, Mama."

SHE woke up from her slumber and released a deep sigh. This is her second time dancing that piece after a year. She stood up and fixed herself.