One Less Star (Preview)

"No Serena! You twirl twice before the bridge and have Sylveon lift you with Fairy Wind. Please at least try."

Palermo scolds Serena when stepping up onto the stage they are practicing on. Serena looks down and adjusts the weight of the guitar over her shoulder.

"Seriously Serena, we have been practicing this routine for three weeks now. You should know how to do this now, why are you failing so badly?"

Serena stutters, "Well it's-"

"You have done the guitar before, right? Why are you doing so horribly today? Maybe I over expected your skill."

"Del del phox!" "Panchum chum chum!" "Alt tarrrria!" "Veon syl sylveon!" All of her pokemon cry out towards Palermo. Palermo hesitates and takes a step back before snapping at the pokemon.

"Now don't you start acting up, you are doing it right. This is about Serena not you, so shut up y-"

A growl rumbles behind Palermo cutting her off. She slowly turns around to where Serena's Absol is laying against the studio wall next to her belongings, baring his teeth, challenging her to continue her degrading rant. Palermo returns Absol with her own fierce stare and bared teeth. As she turns back towards Serena, Serena's faint smile falters under Palermo's gaze.

Palermo notices this and relaxes her face with a deep breath. "Okay, lets just start from the-" Her phone starts ringing. "Very well, take five. When I return, we'll start at the beginning."

As she leaves, Serena collapses on the stage with Altaria and Sylveon easing her down. Serena begins to whimper as her pokemon cuddles around her. Absol comes over and lays himself in her lap.

"Pan pan" Panchum utters as he is trying to climb over Absol to get closer as Altaria wasps her wings around her and rests her head on Serena's right shoulder. "Del delph" "Sylveon ve" Delphox places her paw on left shoulder as Sylveon wraps her ribbons around her arm. Serena smiles feeling the support and love from her pokemon. "Thank you everyone."

Palermo comes back into the room, "Okay, so that call was that I have to go a board meeting about our-" she look up from her phone to see Serena surrounded by her pokemon. "Oh, am I interrupting something?"

Serena pets Absol's head while rubbing his horn with her thumb. "No, nothing big. What were you saying?"

Palermo shows a small smile at the response. "I said that I have to go to a board meeting about our investments in the halls, so I have to go now." Serena's eyes lit up at the mention of leaving early. "When I am gone, I want you to stay and continue practicing your guitar. Your performance is soon and I want it good."

Serena's eyes fell as Palermo grabs her belongings. "Please lock up the studio when you leave." With that, Palermo leaves Serena alone with her pokemon.

Serena stares down at her guitar, reflecting on what has happened.

"Sylf?" "Cham?"

Serena continues staring at the guitar slowly reaching for the strings.

'~Buh buh beeeuuuh     Buh buhh buuh~'

"We will always together! I won't leave your side."

Serena quickly retracts her hand and took a gasp before a few sobs gets caught in her throat. All her Pokémon surround her again trying to sooth her emotions. Delphox reaches out and brings a tissue box from somewhere in the studio with her psychic powers.

They sat there for several minutes till Serena feels her tablet in her overcoat pocket vibrating. The Pokémon moves aside so she can reach it. She pulls it out and opens it. It is a message from May asking if she is free for the evening. She looks at the tablet's clock. '4:24? I guess I could leave early.'

————————————————————

May: Hey Serena. Are you free for the evening? We can go out for dinner and talk.

Serena: IDK. Yea, I'm free, but I don't feel like it.

May: Oh come on. We are here for you but we'll only help if you open with us.

Serena: Where do you want to go eat? When?

May: Want to go to that new Kantonian all-you-can-eat ramen buffet?

Serena: Sure. What time?

May: 5. Make sure you make it.

Serena: I will. See you

—————————–———————————

"Tarria?" "Sol." "Pan pan chm" "Sol Absol"

Serena looks up from her tablet to see Pancham sitting on Absol's head so he is at her head height, and in her face with a goofy grin. She leans back startled before lightly giggling. Gradually it rouse to a full laugh with everyone joining in. After a while, Serena asks, "So how would you all like to leave early today?"

All the Pokémons cried out in approval as she recalls them in their balls except Sylveon. "Let's go." She puts her guitar in its case, swings it on her back, and grabs her belongings including a pair of sunglasses and a red cap. She locks the studio door and enters Magenta Plaza. She takes a deep breath of the cooling September air. She looks towards Prism Tower; white clouds reflecting off the windows.

The sky starts to turn a deep ruby color with dried blood clouds splattered across. The air becomes dry and polluted with the smoke of all the fires around her. The ground shakes as giant roots emerge destroying the city. She watches with her breath stuck in her chest as the roots climbs up Prism Tower. Her feet feels like cement while her legs were flimsier than noodles. She couldn't move, her body refused to respond; but what can she do? The destruction is surrounding her, closing in, as a root speeds towards her-

"Sylf!" Serena sees Sylveon looking down at her. Serena closes her eyes tightly to try to get rid of the memory. Red sky, fire, the root No, she blinks rapidly trying to focus on Sylveon above her.

"I'm sorry Sylveon." She reaches up to pet the side of her head. "Eeve" she purrs as she licks Serena's cheek. Serena giggles lightly at it.

"Stop, stop, I'll get up." Serena gets up off her back with help of Sylveon's ribbons due to the counter balance of the guitar. '4:36? Need to get to the ramen shop soon.'

Hope you enjoyed this preview of my oneshot. Once I finish it, I'll replace this chapter with the finished work. This preview is 1030 words and right now the full version is 4200 words and maybe another 2k to finish. I've been working on this story for over a year and a half (procrastination) but I've gotten a lot of headway on it recently. Hopefully I'll finish it soon. If you want to continue reading, keep it in your library and give it a vote.

Thanks for reading, and please give your opinion