10 - Alana

Frost giants

  Terrible, brutal creatures who just don't seem to get along with others well. You never had to deal with them yourself, they usually stayed on Jotunheim nowadays but of course.

  "Laufey," you said to the enormous king. The giants were definitely giant, standing above at least 10 feet. You looked around you as the Jotuns turned to look at you. "Aren't you a little far from home?"

  "Njorddottir," the icy king replied. "Glad you finally showed up for our gift to you."

  You looked at him, confused but then saw what he meant. In front of him stood a ginger-haired girl wearing a long blue gown to which he held a long blade to her neck. Alana.

  "Unhand her at once!," you cried out. She looked at you with desperation in her eyes, something you never wanted to see.

  The frost giant simply laughed it off. "So she does mean something to you? Perfect." He pushed his sword closer to her neck.

  "Wait, stop!," you pleaded. "Please, what do you want? Why threaten her life?"

  "I want my son, and I am fully aware he happens to be hiding in this castle. Your castle," he spat out.

  "Your son? We do not have a frost giant in the castle! What are you, mad?," you laughed.

  "Mad? I want my son back and I get called mad for it?," he yelled. 

    "I told you, Laufey, we are not in possession of any Jotuns," you said as he pushed the blade closer to Alana's neck. Your heart began pacing quickly when you heard her faint whimpers.

  "Fine, then. You don't hand over the boy, the girl dies," he said as he raises his blade and brings it down to her neck, slicing it right off. You scream as the guards finally get to you after helping the crowd, pulling you away. Tears filling your eyes and being dragged by two guards while the others fight off the giants, you can't help but think about what she meant to you.

  She was your best friend, if one of your only friends. Being a princess didn't allow much time to socialize, but as your handmaiden she spent most of your life by your side. She let you rant on about your soulmate, just as you let her rant about hers. She ate with you while your parents were attending to royal matters, went on trips to other realms when your father wanted you to be 'cultured'. 

  But now she's gone. Off to Valhalla, you hope. You knew only warriors went there and that Alana definitely was not one, but she deserved it.

  After the.. incident.. the Jotuns began leaving the castle, probably back to Jotunheim. The guards brought you back to the safe room where your mother, Frigga, Sif, and the two Asgardian brothers crowded around your trembling body. You couldn't stop crying, for it seemed every time you blinked you saw her lifeless body hitting the floor.

  "Darling, what happened?" your mother asks. "Are you hurt?"

  You shake your head and try to muster up the words but you're only allowed to get one out.

  "Alana,"

  Your mother gasps and hugs you close, gives you a small kiss to your head and gets up to explain to your father. 

  Still crying your eyes out, Loki pulls you onto his lap, hugging you and stroking your hair. You stay like that for what seems like forever until a guard comes in.

  "Your majesties, the castle has been cleared of everything."

  Your mother nods and they all start filing out. Loki carries you in his arms, bridal style, following your mother to your chambers.

  Setting you down on the bed, he sits down and wipes your now-less-frequent tears.

  "Thanks.." you mumble. He brushes a loose strand of hair behind your ear and looks at you with sympathy in his eyes. He wants to say something, but still can't so he kisses your forehead instead. You would blush at this, but given the circumstance you don't.

  He gives you a look as if to say 'should I stay here or do you want me to go?'.

  "I think it'd be best if you left," you reply. He nods and gets up to leave, looking back one last time before leaving back for Asgard.