Chapter Five

As the man adjusts my lapel microphone, I can't help but think back to qualifying. I managed to out qualify Nicholas by the skin of my teeth. I start tomorrow's race on the front grid behind Nyck. Even though I'm leading the championship, the margins are thin. Tomorrow, there is no room for error. Although there never is.

"Alright, are you ready?" The interviewer's soft voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

Wait. Am I supposed to look at the camera or her? She's already explained it four times, so I can't muster up the courage to ask. Chewing my lip, I give her a small nod.

"If you don't mind, introduce yourself: your name, age, team, nationality, and where you live."

"Hello! I'm Jordan Joel, I drive for—."

"Look at camera 1 please." She interrupts me.

My palms start to sweat. Off to a great start Jordan. I shift and look into the camera lens directly in front of me. The lights bare down on my face. I blink.

With a small cough I begin again, "Hello! I'm Jordan—."

She raises her hand interrupting me again. Her upper body twists and she whispers something to a short man with a clipboard. She turns back to me, "one moment, we're going to have makeup come touch up your forehead."

Suddenly conscious of the sweat pooling above my eyebrows, I raise a hand to wipe it off. The makeup artist is a tall redhead. She gives me a small smile then begins quick work of drying my skin and putting powder over it.

"Don't worry, these lights freak out everyone their first time." She whispers reassuringly. Then she takes a step back to examine her work.

The interviewer gives a thumbs up and once again I'm on my own.

"Ok, from the top: name, age, team, nationality, and current residence."

I cough a bit and sit up in my chair. "Hello! I'm Jordan Joel, I drive for DAMS—."

"Sorry."

Great I messed up again.

The interviewer gives a small smile, "we mean your formula 1 team, so Haas."

My mouth forms an O and I nod, "sorry first-time jitters."

"When you're ready."

"Hello! I'm Jordan Joel, I drive for Haas F1 team, I'm from the Unites States of America, and I live in France." I finish then glance over at Siobhan. She is busy typing away at her phone.

The interviewer smiles, it's not a very reassuring smile, "let's try one last time ok. Can you add the city you live in, and don't forget your age!"

This is already tiresome, I think before plastering on a fake smile.

"I'm Jordan Joel, I'm 19 years old—."

"You're 20." Siobhan interjects from her corner.

I wipe my forehead again. "19 in spirit," I joke.

No one says anything so I take that as my queue to start from the top.

"Hello! I'm Jordan Joel, I'm 20 years old," I throw a wink at the camera, "I drive for Haas F1 team, I'm from the United States of America, and I live in Paris, France." I emphasize the last part for good measure.

The interviewer nods, "so, why do you drive?"

My eyes widen, "starting with the hard questions I see."

She nods indicating I should continue.

"Why do I drive?" I repeat and pause to think. "To get from point A to B."