Chapter Twenty-Two

After the celebrations I find myself alone in my hotel room. Isn't that how it always goes. The highs are felt so high. The celebrations are shared. Then you find yourself in bed alone well past dawn.

I pull my phone out from the nightstand drawer.

Lando

Congrats

I thumb a response.

Me

Thank you! If you need a distraction, I guess it's my turn to repay the favor.

I almost delete the second half. Seeing how the last distraction he offered didn't end up too well. Toto's scolding still fresh in my mind. I avoided Toto the entire podium ceremony, but Sky sports managed to get us in a post-race casual interview together. I laugh out loud in recollection of what he said about me, "she might have the potential." That one stung. My phone pings pulling me out of the embarrassment.

Lando

Fancy a walk?

Me

Can chickens fly?

Lando

No?

Me

Sorry bad analogy, I meant yes.

Walking into the lobby, I immediately notice Lando sulking in the chair furthest from the front desk. His hood is drawn low almost covering his eyes as he scrolls through his phone. I throw myself into the chair across from him.

"I will say, I'm surprised you're still up." I say.

He throws his hand to his chest, "Christ Jo, you gave me a fright."

"A fright?" I chuckle kicking his shin lightly with the toe of my shoe.

"How were the parties?" He asks kicking me back lightly.

I shrug and push my foot into his own. "Guenther is wilder than I thought."

"Oh, I'm sure." He pushes his foot down lightly on mine.

"Yea, he stage dived." I push my forefoot up leaving my heel on the ground.

Lando snorts. "Yea, did you catch him?" He places his foot on the inside of mine.

"Yea it actually turned into that scene from Dirty Dancing." I place my right foot on the other side of his and press it between my feet.

"You do look like Patrick Swayze."

I let out a loud laugh then cover my mouth with my hand. "So, you're a big fan of his."

Lando shakes his head. "So are we going to go on a walk or just keep playing footsy."

I purse my lips hoping he doesn't notice the blush on my cheeks. Throwing myself to my feet I hold out my right hand. "Shall we?"

He meets my hand with his right and pulls himself to his feet.

We walk into the night. Lando has both of his hands pressed into the pouch of his hoodie. That's a disappointment.

We don't make it very far, neither of us knowing the city. So, instead we sit on the hotel patio. The fire pit surprisingly is still lit. Lando sit's next to me on the loveseat. I curl my legs up and put my toes on the edge of the stone pit. The cool breeze forces me to put my hands into my pocket.

"So do you want to talk about it or just ignore it." I ask.

Lando leans his head back. The move causes his hoody to fall revealing his wet hair. "We said distraction."

I look away and stair into the fire not wanting to be caught staring. "Hmm well, let me think. Games are off the table."

"Why's that?" He asks not lifting his head.

"I don't think you could handle losing to me twice in one day."

He lets out a long sigh. "Technically it's tomorrow."

My chest raises with a small laugh, "I guess you're right."

"Do you mind if we just sit...here." He asks.

I feel his thigh on my hip. His sweatpants are soft against my bare skin. Glancing over, I notice his head is rolled towards me.

"You've given me the toughest challenge of all." I whisper.

He raises his brows and drops his hand onto my thigh. "And what's that?"

My heart skips. I'm transfixed on the circles his fingers draw. I look back up meeting his eyes. "Being silent." I joke.

He closes eyes and smiles before rolling his head back towards the sky.

Out of his gaze, my heart manages to still for a moment. But those trailing fingers steal my heart back. Pulling my left hand from my pocket, I loop it around his arm and lean my head on his shoulder. His middle finger trails up my thigh and onto my hip before floating back.

My head jolts up and I gasp awake from our public nap. Unwrapping my arm from his, I glance at my watch.

"Shit!" I take my knees from his lap and drop my feet to the ground. The momentum of my chest sitting up causes him to jump. "It's 5am!"

I'm on my feet and Lando rubs his eyes and blinks.

"A nice two-hour nap."

"Yea, and I've got to leave for a flight in half an hour."

Lando shakes his head, "damn couldn't afford late checkout."

I smack his shoulder lightly with the back of my hand, "shut up."

He smirks before standing. The narrow space between the loveseat and fire pit leaves out chests close to touching. I breathe deeply looking into his eyes. Then I spin around.

We walk silently towards the back entrance of the hotel. Our hands brush slightly and my heart twitches.

As we walk into the lobby, I see Charles waiting for his trainer at the couches. 
"I'm going to chat with Charles. Talk to you later?" I ask Lando.

He nods and scratches the back of his neck, "yea...yea...see you?" Awkwardly, he walks to the elevator doors waving to Charles on his way.

Charles waves back, but barely looks up from his phone to welcome me.

"Charles!" I raise my voice and arms.

He doesn't open his own to meet my hug, so I drop them back by my side.

"Long time no chat." I say still smiling.

He looks at me, "yea, I've just been busy."

"No worries! I get it, quite literally now I guess." I joke trying to cut the tension.

"Yea." He responds looking behind me.

"So," I pause, "maybe we can hang out next week?"

"Mm, yea maybe. I don't want to commit to anything. My schedule is large."

I nod, "is everything ok?" I lower my eyes, "between us?"

Charles shakes his head, "why wouldn't it be?"

I cock my head, "OK, are you sure? It just feels weird."

"Well, you are fucking all of my friends so it's a bit—what's the word—complicated?"

I tut my teeth, "it was just the one."

He raises his brows, "comforting."

"When did you get so sassy?"

He sighs meeting my eyes. There's a sadness in the connection. He severs it with a wave to his trainer.

"I must go. Talk soon." He brushes past me.

~~~~~~~~~

a/n 

in which Jo is a silly silly camper