Chapter 2- Numb🥀

"She wasn't sad anymore, she was numb, and she knew somehow numb was worse."

~Atticus
................

Atlanta, Georgia
Approximately 9:17 am

Corey black

"My son isn't dead and I have the proof."

I was still struggling to pull myself together after tragically losing my best friend to some senseless bullshit last night just to wake up to this? "No," I frantically shook my head in disbelief, swiping away fresh tears cascading down my cheeks with the back of my hand. "That can't be true...I- I saw you at his funeral. There was a casket!"

Key's murder was a hard pill for both of us to swallow, and as much as I've been missing him, I could go fucking crazy! She must've really been losing her damn mind coming to my doorstep with a heavy accusation as such.

"I know it's hard to believe, trust me...I know, but I think he's being held for ransom." She stepped in closing my front door before turning to locking it. "Take it easy, I gotchu you," reaching out helping me up off the floor. When her hand cupped mine, I could feel something cold pressing against my palm at the same time. Finally back on my feet, maintaining my balance, I hesitantly opened my hand.

"How......How'd you get these?" I rasped eye's stinging and blurring with a fresh wave of tears. My heart was beating like a damn drum in my chest staring down at my wedding ring and band that I'd threw on Key's casket months ago.

"Out of this," She replied frantically digging in her purse pulling out a large yellow envelope. "You got one too, it was on the windshield of your car when I walked up."

Mama Cathey opened it and low and behold there was a stack of pictures. I reached in pulling them out quickly flashing through them. The pictures were of Key's face beat the fuck up. His once beautiful pink lips were busted, both eyes were swollen shut, and there was blood all over his face and shirt. "Who would want to do my baby like this?" She lowly spoke barely containing her emotions.

"Wait..there's something else in there." I said turning the envelope upside down. A litte silk black draw string bag fell out hitting the floor with a heavy thud. Bending down I untied the strings tugging the bag open. "WHAT THE FUCK!?" I screamed tossing the bag running to the kitchen sink to throw up. Sick was a understatement.

"What is it?" She cautiously questioned, reaching over picking the bag up dropping it almost immediately, gagging holding her hand over her mouth. It was Key's pinky finger with his bloody P.R.E. pinky ring still attached.

Unable to keep calm any longer I broke out into a screaming fit. "NONE OF THIS SHIT PROVES HE'S ALIVE! HE LOOKS DEAD AS FUCK IN THOSE PICTURES! AND WHOEVER DID IT GAVE ME HIS FINGER!"

"But he has to be," Mama Cathey said striding over to me in the kitchen. "The medical examiner and the funeral home never let me view his body. They said he was burned severely from his car crashing during the shooting and that he needed a closed casket. That shit just didn't sit right with me. Like who are they to tell me I can't see my son's face, or touch his hands for my last goodbye's. Not only that but I never even received his official death certificate."

"Who else did you tell this to?" I questioned.

"Just you, nobody else."

She had some pretty valid reasons but it still wasn't making sense. And then something hit me. I brushed pass her going to get the pictures for another look. Gathering them all up taking my time to  observe, I realized the background looked familiar to me. The white marble floors with the gold speckles stood out the most. I had seen them somewhere, like I'd been there before. But where did I see them?

I was getting a little frustrated trying to remember. Hell, I'd been to plenty places that had white marble floors but just the way the background looked gave me this eerie feeling. "Fuck," I spoke snapping my finger.

"What?" Mama Cathey asked but I couldn't answer feeling smothered by so many different emotions flooding me at once. My sanity was slipping at this point. The last thing I wanted to do was take the blame for the disappearance of my own man.

"I think... I think I know where to find him." I rasped trying to keep from crying yet again. My heart was breaking but rage was starting to over power that feeling.

"Oh my God, where? Are you gonna go to the police?"

I felt so disgusted I just burst out crying knowing that this shit was my fault. I let my pain get the best of me for a couple of nights filled with passion and ultimately everyone around me was paying for it. "No, I don't trust the police or anyone for this matter," I hiccuped bypassing her first question. My heart was pounding hard against my chest. I had a feeling that baby was behind Key's disappearance. Although I still wasn't sure, I was going to find out.

I grabbed mama Cathey hugging her tight. "I'ma need you to go and stay at a hotel until I tell you it's safe to go back home, understand?"

"What about sevyn?"

"My mama has her, so don't worry. I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and bring Key home."

"From a mother who's already made my fair share of mistakes to another, you've got alot of spiritual choices to make, make wise ones." She whispered in my ear squeezing me tighter in her warm embrace.

Man was she right about spiritual choices, my head was all kinds of fucked up tryna process this crazy shit. I wasn't mentally prepared for any this, but if my intuitions were right somebody was gonna die tonight.
.............................

I'm baaaaack!!

I know this chapter is short but that's because chapter 3 is going to be long like chapter 1. Hopefully this chapter will get enough votes (that match my views).

I hope y'all ready cause chapter 3 gone be some shiiiiiiiit!

Questions? Concerns?

VOTE AND COMMENT! ALSO, TELL A FRIEND ABOUT THIS BOOK.

Until next time Beauties!

~G🖤