Chapter 2

TVD
Season 1, Episode 2
The Night of the Comet

——————

The breeze was gentle, luring me into a sense of security. The green grass soft beneath my feet as I walked, Damon at my side. We were miles away from Mystic Falls, in the woods on the outskirts of Virginia. The greenery was refreshing, the urge to become one with nature overtaking my being. I paused in my walking when we came to a large clearing, stripping the clothes I had worn and handing them to Damon.

He put them in the duffle bag he had brought, sitting down on a tree stump as I laid on the floor. I let the cool feeling of the earth consume me, the grass and wind surrounding me. Slowly, it began to pick up, whirling all around me. The leaves picked up from off of the ground, moving in a circle around my figure. I let my hold on my human form go, allowing myself to become my most natural self. The tingling washed over me, the feeling of my bones changing came along with it. It didn't hurt, it wasn't a punishment but rather what I was born into; what I had always been.

I became bigger, bones emerging from my shoulder blades as my skin started to stretch. I didn't become as big as I could've, we were still in Virginia, there wasn't enough space to contain how big I could get. This would have been better when we were living a few miles away from the city, it was very rural so I could get as huge as I wanted to and never had to be worried about being spotted. My skin stretched over the newly formed bones, scales growing on top of it. They were iridescent on the top, running all the way through to my tail, and yellow on the bottom where my stomach was. At last my head changed, I was no longer the pretty Chinese 17 year old but a multicolored dragon.

My eyes a loud yellow color, a multitude of pink tongues slithering from my mouth. There were three horns sticking out from each side of my face, two large ones at the very top of my head. I was truly terrifying to look at, a body like a lizard full of pop culture dragon features. My mother and father didn't look quite the same either. My mom is a hybrid of a water and earth dragon and my father a wind and fire dragon, they were almost just like me. A dragon's form was unique to them, my mother looking more like a stereotypical western dragon and my father inheriting a more serpent like appearance.

I had gotten the iridescent coloring because of my mom and dad's elements. The shimmering scales represent my ability to naturally control the four core elements my parents could. Any dragon could learn more if they wish, but most stick to the ones they are familiar with. Learning a different power took around a century for you to master like you would a natural born element, and there wasn't really any pay off. Sure you now have a new power, but there aren't that many chances to even show it off. Over the centuries we've become able to coexist efficiently, there are rarely any dragons that start problems and other supernatural creatures don't need that much of any natural born element to be defeated.

It was different when I was a kid though, dragons were warring with witches, so we needed to learn as much as we could to defend ourselves. Interbreeding between similar factions was also common as it would allow for stronger children. I had only learned one extra power since I had turned 1,500 and I had to practice every once in a while to make sure I didn't get rusty. Just because there was no one that was a threat now, didn't mean there wouldn't be one later. I grew up in a war zone, and even though there wasn't much war for me to fight I wasn't ever going to allow myself to become complacent.

As the transformation came to an end, I turned my head towards Damon. Stefan hadn't come because he was on a hunt in New York, the population was big enough that they wouldn't notice a few pedestrians go missing for a few hours; Stefan had enough control of himself to keep them alive if he wished. He preferred to drink animal blood, but every once in a while he would drink his fill of human too. It was better this way, he would still be able to drink human blood, but he wouldn't rip people to pieces like he did in the 1920's.