Chapter 23 - Part 1: Going Back to Earth

This chapter is in two parts since I didn't want this be an intimidating, super long chapter. Also, I thought having the battle scene in its own chapter would be better (part 2).

~ ~ ~

Ariel wanted to tell him that she loved him... but he didn't let her. He wouldn't, not until he and Silver came back. How long would that take? They would have to find some way to see Ursula, and then they would have to fight her. How would they be able to do all that without swimming to the bottom of the ocean? What did she do before? She told Sebastian and Flounder to go down and let Ursula know that she wanted to talk to her, and Ursula met her in a cave. Could Jim and Silver do that? How would they be able to even find Flounder and Sebastian without going into the ocean, though? Also, would Ariel be able to get through the portal? She doubted she would be able to. But who knows? Maybe Ursula's powers extended to just that one shell portal.

These thoughts wondered through Ariel's head as she finished getting ready in her room the next morning. Once she was ready, in a blue dress that Sarah loaned her, she left her room and headed downstairs. Once near the kitchen doors, she heard voices coming from inside. They sounded like Silver's and Sarah's voices. She leaned closer to the door, hoping to hear Jim, but she couldn't hear his voice. Maybe he was still up in his room? She about left when she heard Silver say, "Don't ya worry yer head about us, Sarah. We'll go and come back in no time at all."

"I'm just worried. I always worry for Jim's safety whenever he goes on one of his grand adventures. I know this is all for Ariel, and you both are trying to help her, but still..."

There was a pause for a moment, and Ariel's curiosity, as well as her impulsiveness, got the better of her. She opened one of the double-doors a smidgen and saw Sarah standing there against the island counter with a hand over her forehead, and she had a weary look on her face. Silver, who was over by the stove, walked around the island counter and stood in front of her. He put his real hand on her shoulder and she put her hand down and looked up at him. He gave her a small and sure smile.

"I'll watch over Jimbo, Sarah, I promise ya. He won't get himself into any danger if I have anythin' to do with it. Plus, we all know how tough that lad is."

"It's just... that witch sounds horrible. I worry that..."

"She won't stand a chance with Jimbo and me! You should've seen us on the way to and from Treasure Planet. We were a right team, we were."

A smile crossed her lips and she nodded. "Yes, you two are two seeds in a juberry. I can see it even now. He hasn't left your side since he found you."

"And I wouldn't want 'im to leave me side. He's like the son I never had." Sarah looked up at him with wide eyes after he said that, and he cleared his throat in embarrassment. Ariel swore she saw his cheeks turn a bit pink. "Um, well... I wasn't meanin' for that to come out. It's the truth, though. Jimbo is a special lad, and he's special to me. So ye can believe it when I say that I'll make sure that witch doesn't do a thing to 'im."

Ariel noticed tears gather in Sarah's eyes, and Silver looked a tad confused as to what he should do, now that Sarah had covered her mouth and started to whimper. He took hold of Sarah's other shoulder and brought her to him, and she leaned her head onto his chest. Ariel put a hand to her heart, herself feeling her throat tighten a little at how tender the scene was. She figured that this would be a good time to shut the door. She didn't want to spy on them more than was necessary - they needed privacy.

Ariel turned and gasped when Jim stood right there in front of her. "Gosh, Jim!"

He laughed. "Sorry to startle ya. Where's Silver? We need to leave."