Chapter Five

Acen made sure I was presentable, going so far as to run a comb through my hair for me, as if I couldn't do it myself. He wore his formal guarding outfit, complete with three knives and his sword. Three visible knives, at least. As he led the way through the castle, I eyed him, trying to see if I could find any more knives hidden away.

Acen knocked on Tannix's door to announce our arrival, and entered without waiting for a reply. Tannix was standing by a floor length mirror, looking at himself. His reflection glanced at us briefly. "Acen, finally. Do you think this is right?"

He was wearing a long, dark blue top that seemed like a mix of tunic and jacket. A line of gold buttons ran down the jacket, just off centre. The bottom hem was cut at a slant. Underneath he was wearing white pants, and his usual boots had been replaced by white shoes.

"I don't think you could possibly wear that wrong," Acen said. "It doesn't look very complicated."

"No, but..." Tannix turned back to his mirror and fiddled with the end of the long sleeves. "It feels... stifling. If I was attacked while wearing this, I doubt I could properly swing a sword."

"Well, that happens to be exactly why I'm here. Not every noble is so eager to jump to his own defense."

"You look incredible," I chimed in, because he truly did. The jacket had been tailored perfectly.

The material glittered when he turned around again. "You always think that."

"I'm never wrong."

"Enough," Acen interrupted. "Managing you two is quickly becoming the hardest part of my job, isn't it? Tannix, stop playing with your sleeve. It's fine."

"I—Oh, I have something for you, actually. Both of you." Tannix went to the table and unfolded a bundle of cloth. There were eight cloak pins, made of bright, white silver. The front face of the pins was shaped like a wave, decorated with flecks of light blue. "I know it looks like water, but it's supposed to be wind. Their patron goddess is Virie." Tannix looked at me. "I can't remember her Zian name."

"Kitsa," I said. The pins were beautiful, but I couldn't help but note that there were eight. One for each of the knights.

"They're incredible." Acen gently picked one up and replaced the plain pin he had already been wearing.

Tannix lifted up another piece of cloth to reveal a pair of silver bracelets, studded with the same blue flecks as the pins. "They reminded me of that red one you used to wear," he explained, as he offered them to me. "What happened to it?"

"I gave it to Ninavi." The bracelets were very similar to my red one—a hard circle of metal that I had to slip over my wrist. I slid them both over my left wrist, exactly where I had worn the red one. "After you gave me that blue cloak. I didn't think it would match." The bracelets clicked together quietly when I lowered my arm. "Thank you, they're perfect. Did you get a gift, too? I mean, besides the clothes."

"I'm surprised you haven't noticed."

Suddenly it occurred to me that he had two rings on his left hand instead of the usual one. I grabbed his hand to get a closer look. The champion ring, with its white rectangular stone, was on his middle finger. The new ring was on his pinky. It was gold, with an engraving that looked Navirian around the band. A circular piece of the same blue decoration sat on top. It was a little larger than the pieces on the pins or my bracelets, so I had my first good look at it. It was unlike any stone I had ever seen—an iridescent swirl of colour that was mostly blue and black. As I tilted Tannix's hand to catch the light differently, part of it shimmered green and purple.

"What kind of stone is this?"

Tannix was unfazed by my manhandling of his hand. "It's a type of shell, actually."