Chapter Nine

We were in Zianna for just over two weeks. Despite Acen's absence, the other knights decided to keep trying to train me. I didn't enjoy the process, but I quickly realized that the knights liked the distraction. Training me was entertaining and helped them forget about the war, so I put up with it.

I went to a few of the war council meetings, hanging back against the wall with whichever guard was on duty. I watched Tandrin hold court with far more confidence than Tannix had whenever he was asked to speak, but it was Queen Esmeranda who led most of the discussions. Tandrin had been the one sending messages back and forth with King Deorun, even though Queen Esmeranda held far more power. Telt traditions meant that whoever was born into the ruling family held more power than their spouse. Esmeranda's power was likely another reason Navire liked us, as they always had queens and held women in much higher regard. Deorun was ruled by men. It was probably the largest cultural difference between our two neighbors.

Queen Esmeranda and Queen Navire, despite their large age difference, seemed to get along extremely well. They presented a united front at every meeting I attended, daring anyone to argue with them. People brought up concerns and plans shifted and changed from day to day as new information came from the front lines. But nobody ever argued, everybody knew better than to get on the queens' bad sides.

When I wasn't attending a meeting or training, I dragged a knight along to the lower city. Usually it was Evrik, but a few times the twins came along. Really, Kor and Ender wanted to check on the Thief Queen and their crew. The port and the lower city were in the same direction, so sometimes they accompanied me as an excuse.

The same day Tannix announced that we would be heading back to West Draulin, Evrik heard that Castin's unit had been given their orders. It was good timing. Tannix wasn't going to attend any more meetings, and Castin would be in the lower city. It was an opportunity to have my immediate family together, maybe for the last time.

It was pouring rain the next morning, but I still planted myself in Tannix's way when he started to pack up his belongings for the trip home.

"We need to go to the lower city."

Tannix, holding a pile of folded tunics in his arms, raised an eyebrow. "We?"

"We. You and me," I said. I took the tunics from him and shoved them, not nearly as neatly as I could have, into his travelling bag. "Castin's on leave and he and Stria are going to get married, and I want to see them."

"You don't need me for that."

"I need you because you're part of my family." He still looked hesitant, so I added, "I know we're supposed to leave today. We will leave today. I'm just talking about a quick trip. And maybe the rain will let up before we have to start sailing."

He looked at the window. The rain was falling so heavily it was hard to see the city. "Rain doesn't stop sailors. But yes, we can spare time for a quick visit." He stepped around me to carefully pull a hooded cloak from his bag. "They're getting married? Should we bring a gift? Or maybe just some money. That would be more helpful, wouldn't it?"

I dug through my own bag to find my hooded cloak. "They would appreciate it."

"Good." I heard the clinks of coins as Tannix dropped money into a small pouch. "Let's go."

The cloaks were quickly drenched and heavy, but at least they were warm. The main pass and the streets of the lower city were nearly empty. For most of our walk, the only people we saw were soaked, bedraggled guards. Nobody went out in this kind of rain unless they had to.

In the lower city, I didn't take Tannix directly to the thieves' building. There was something else I wanted to do first. We passed through the nearly empty courtyard and did our best to avoid the huge puddles that were gathering on the cobblestones. It wasn't until I stepped up a few stairs onto a tiny covered porch that there was any relief from the rain.