|5| RETALIATION |:|

Estella never felt anything for the victims of her magick. If they encountered it, she felt they deserved it and was never strapped with guilt after. When the English warlock, known only to her as surname Dryden, left her as swiftly as he charged back into her space with her kiss of death on his lips she, for the first time, felt terror. Not for herself, which was what drove her to orchestrate the elaborate spell to begin with. He was powerful; she knew that any ordinary attempt to rid her world of him would not work and probably would only infuriate the man.

That's what sent her to her kiss of death spell. A classic spell that required three points of connection that would work together to destroy the being locked in its clutches. Ingestion, touch and a kiss to seal the deal. Of course all of those things would require her to get close to him, or better said allow him to get close to her. She was concerned about her physical safety of course, but when she met him. When she felt him under her touch, when his magick linked with hers, she was enraptured with it, with him. The sinister energy she was expecting from him was not there, not even in small amounts. That was a shock alone, but there was something else altogether that she wasn't expecting. It was like a magnet finding its other half.

That dread returned to her. If her spell work was successful, which it never disappointed her before, he would be lost to her. She knew she'd not find energy as potent as his in another age. And to also have them fit together so effortlessly to lose that so carelessly? That was difficult to swallow.

Then, there were the other facts. The fact that he tried to sneak into her presence as if she wouldn't have precautions in place. He underestimated her, or didn't even consider her a contender, which was arrogant and frankly, insulting.

She turned down the familiar street to her home adjusting the bag of groceries in her arms. She tried not to think too much about it. It wasn't the first time she'd too quickly jumped to conclusions and removed someone before she could confirm if they were a threat or not. It didn't happen often, but it had happened before. She was able to shake that one, but this one was causing distress. That alone bothered her.

She pulled out her keys and adjusted the groceries as she fanned through the bits of metal to find the proper one.

She startled out of her thoughts and looked down at the black cat that leaned against her legs.

She smiled gazing down at the cat. "Hello again my furry friend!"

She shifted the bag of groceries so she could bend down and pet the creature. This was the third time she saw him around, though the first time he didn't got close enough for her to pet him. He looked well-maintained though he had no collar. Black cats were unfairly treated simply because of what they were. The connection to witches did not go unnoticed. What the foolish judges didn't know is if they'd come encounter with a real magickal witch they wouldn't have stood a chance. She'd have crushed their souls and used it to enslave their families. Some dark satisfaction washed over her with that thought for a fleeting moment.

"Where's your mother, huh?" He purred and let her scratch under his chin. She stood and brought her focus back to her keys to unlock the door to her house. "Are you hungry, boy?" More purring and brushing it's lieth form against her ankles. "Stay here and I'll bring down some milk, okay?" She smiled down at the cat when he sat nicely near the door as if he understood. "I would invite you up, but we just met and I'd hate to be presumptuous." She laughed more at herself. Her head fell to the side as the creature's intelligent eyes searched her then looked away in that careless way that cats do. He looked to be on alert, his eyes scanning the surroundings. "Well, aren't you a beautiful cat? Look at those eyes, so intelligent."

She thought about getting a pet for a while, but never pulled the trigger. Perhaps it was the commitment that caused her hesitation.

She made her way up the stairs, set her bag on the counter. She frowned when her phone vibrated.