6

Jisoo takes a few moments to gaze at the portrait before turning her attention back to me. I can't help but feel a bit nervous, wondering what she thinks of my gift. "I didn't buy you one," she says, making me smile. I shake my head and hold up the portrait, examining it more closely.

"It's okay... I just want you to have this," I reply, standing up and offering her the portrait.

"Is it a painting?" Jisoo asks, prompting me to nod.

"You're giving it to me for free?" Jisoo seems to be considering our earlier conversation about my art and whether I should charge for it.

"It's a gift... do you pay for gifts given to you?" I ask with a smile.

"I'm worried that I don't have anything for you; this must've taken a lot of effort," Jisoo admits, her concern tugging at my heartstrings. It's clear that she values me and my work, which makes me regret my past decisions.

"My efforts will be rewarded if you accept it... That's all I wanted," I reply, smiling. "Do you want to open it?" I ask, excited to see her reaction.

"Do you want me to?" Jisoo replies, raising her eyebrows.

"Your choice..." I respond, realizing that my question may have been too straightforward. "Yeah," I add quietly, hoping to convey my eagerness to see her reaction. Jisoo kneels down to be at eye level with the portrait, and I move closer to see it too.

Jisoo unwraps the portrait with care, neither too quickly nor too slowly. As she starts to look at it, I shift my gaze to her face, eager to see her reaction. She takes in the whole portrait, her eyes scanning every detail. She doesn't say anything, and she doesn't smile, but her eyes are bright, and I can tell that she's pleased.

"Give me one word that comes to mind right now... Other than 'me' or 'Jisoo'," I ask, curious to see what word she associates with the painting.

"Completed," she says after a moment, surprising me. The painting does indeed felt complete, but I hadn't expected that word to come to mind so quickly.

"How so?" I ask, settling down next to Jisoo on the floor. She holds the painting in her lap, staring at it with a distant look in her eyes.

"She looks happy and content," Jisoo replies, using the word "she" instead of "I" for the first time. I realize she's no longer talking about herself, but about the woman in the painting. I had painted her based on my memory of her, the way I had seen her when we were happy and together. Jisoo noticed the painting captured her expression perfectly and used the word "completed" to describe it, as if that moment was the epitome of her happiness.

"It's difficult to lose a part of yourself," Jisoo murmurs, her voice barely audible over the sound of my mother calling us for dinner. I notice the sadness in her eyes, and I feel a pang in my chest. I want to reach out and comfort her, but instead, she stands up and places the painting carefully on the side.

"Thank you, I appreciate it," she says with a small smile, walking towards the kitchen. I watch her retreating figure, feeling a sense of loss. Jisoo always used to hug me tightly after receiving a gift, and I miss that warmth.

I follow her into the kitchen, where Mom is chattering away, asking Alice and me about our lives. Jisoo and I remain quiet, but Alice occasionally asks us questions, to which we respond in monosyllables. After dinner, Mom pours us each a glass of wine, and I notice Jisoo takes only a sip. When Jisoo excused herself as we're done with dinner, that's when Alice started asking me questions.

"Have you given her your gift?" Alice asks, and I nod.

"And?" Mom presses.

"She said she appreciates it," I reply, looking down at my glass. "She seems to like it, but she's not as vocal as she used to be."

"She's alone most of the time, surrounded by an eerie silence that can be deafening at times. It's no wonder she's not as bubbly as she used to be when you were still together," Mom says, her voice heavy with concern. "Her friends do come over to visit, but they all have their own work and lives to attend to. They mostly come by on weekends, leaving her to fend for herself during those five long, lonely days."

Alice pours us each a glass of wine as she leans in, curious to know more. "Do you still love her?" she asks.

"I honestly don't know," I reply, feeling the weight of my emotions bearing down on me. "All I know is that I miss her."

Alice and Mom nod in understanding, their silent support offering some comfort amidst the confusion.

"I'll step out for a bit," I announce, finishing my wine in one quick sip before setting the glass down. "I need to clear my head."

As I step out onto the front porch, I am met with the sight of the darkened sky and the strong winds that buffet me. The only source of light on the entire street comes from the flickering street lamps, casting an eerie glow over everything.

As I approach Jisoo, I notice her huddled up by the stairs, her phone in hand as she plays a game.

"Aren't you cold?" I ask, concerned for her wellbeing.

"I am," she replies, her voice flat and monotonous. She looks up at me, acknowledging my presence, but returning her attention to her game soon after.

"You could play inside," I suggest, hoping to make things a bit more comfortable for her.

"I will, later," she replies, not wanting to break away from her game just yet.

Despite her preoccupation with her game, she still takes notice of my shivering form. "You're cold too," she observes.

"I am," I confirm, my teeth starting to chatter.

"I have a heat pack in my pocket," she offers, before realizing that she is in the middle of a game. "I'll get it...wait a minute," she adds, her fingers deftly moving over the screen as she tries to finish her game.

"It's okay, I'll get it," I reply, moving in closer to reach into her pocket for the heat pack.

"The wind is blowing too strong," I comment, using the excuse to stay close to her.

"There'll be a blizzard later," she remarks, her mind still focused on her game.

"You always loved the morning after a blizzard," I remember, thinking back to the times when we were still together.

"I do, it's like-" she said

"Seeing the calm after the storm... I remember," I continued, trying to keep the conversation flowing. Memories of our past flooded my mind, making my heart race.

"I also remember that your hand is still in my pocket," she said, which surprised me. I quickly pulled my hand out of her pocket, feeling embarrassed.

"I'm so sorry-"

"Is there anything you should be sorry about?" she asked. Her game was nearing completion, but I was just grateful for the distraction. If she wasn't playing, I would be too nervous to handle her intense gaze.

"What exactly do you mean?" 

 "Does anyone mind if your hands are still there?" she questions. 

 "You? I'm not sure." I replied.

"I'm not seeing anyone," she said, which made me realize she's just worried that I'm keeping my hands in her pocket for too long without knowing if I'm seeing someone, which could lead to a misunderstanding. 

"Well... You expect me to see someone if no one is even close to the standard you have left?" I said