Her Truth

"Once upon a time there was a rather dull girl. If you could call her that at all. Perhaps a doll, or puppet would be a better description." The informant sighed wistfully. "Her life never really belonged to her. Every single aspect of her life was controlled. Freedom was a foreign concept to the girl. She followed what her parents said no matter what. If she were told to jump off a cliff, she would. Her dream of being a hero? That wasn't allowed. Rather sad, huh?"

"Why didn't she just say no?" Eraserhead deadpanned, not very impressed with her storytelling skills but decided to humor her anyway.

"Shh! I'm getting to that part Eraser. You can't just fast forward the story like that. Anyway, there was this room. The mirror room. Super creative name, I know. Of course, true to its name, it was a room filled with mirrors. Every time she disobeyed; she would be brought into that room. She was forced to look at herself in the mirror and repeat one sentence. 'I'm sorry, I shouldn't have disobeyed my parents. I am nothing without them.' She would need to say that for hours on end. The girl was torn apart and molded to their liking, over and over again. If she wasn't quite enough, she would be torn right back down. She had no say. Her parents OWNED her. SHE WAS NOTHING WITHOUT THEM!"

Eraserhead frowned as the story deepened. No child, or person for that matter, should be made to say that on repeat. His stomach twisted at the idea of a parent doing that to their own child. No amount of reasoning could justify that behavior.

"She felt less than them, less than everyone else, she wasn't good enough. She was never good enough. She was a failure!" The informant giggled then sighed. "Her self-esteem was in the trash; she didn't know who she was. She hated herself. One day the poor girl in her final act of rebellion, ran away. She was certain she would never learn to like herself." The informant cleared her throat as she regained her composure. "But don't worry this story has a happy ending!"

Eraserhead felt sick listening to the 'story'. There was obviously more to it than that.

"She learned lots of new things. How to live. How to love herself. What it means to have a family." The informant paused. Just as Eraserhead was about to talk she once more interrupted. "I wish I could say it ended right there. That it was happily ever after. But the real world doesn't work like that."

The informant took off her half mask and gave him a broken smile. "You took him away from me Aizawa-sensei. You heroes took everything I had left. My real family, my home, my dream and now my future. Was it wrong of me? To try and follow my dreams? I-I wanted to be a hero so bad it resulted in someone's death. My brother's death." Though her hood obscured most of her face he could see the small tears glide down her cheeks. "I just... wanted something for myself. Perhaps I got too greedy." Her tone changed. "I really shouldn't blame you, and I can't, but I'm just so angry at this world. The heroes. The villains. I'm angry at myself. I should have been better."

She slipped her mask back ready to go, Eraserhead's eyes widened as he recognized who she was. "Spinel!" He tried to reach for her.

-------

Shouto's head hurt by the time he returned to UA. He made it back before curfew after hearing all kinds of stories about his brother. He did have to run all the way back to campus, but it was worth learning what he did. Spinel -his unofficial, official sister- told him about the misadventures her and Touya got up to. He quietly stalked into the dorm's common room. He had no intention to talk or even greet anyone. That was until he saw a head of purple. Ah, look what we have here. Shinsou Hitoshi. The reason why Touya is dead and the reason why Spinel can't be a hero anymore. Shinsou had ruined Spinel's one chance at living out her dream. He robbed his sister of her future, permanently. Before he knew it Shouto's fist connected with Shinsou's jaw. Everything Spinel had so carefully worked towards was thrown out the window. Even if his anger was misplaced -which it was not- Shinsou deserved a punch to the face after what he had done.