'Come Here'

Six hours before dawn

Right at this moment, New York isn't as illuminating as it used to be, because the love of my life is getting married tomorrow, with someone else.

Isn't it unfair that I love her first, but hours from now, she will belong to him forever? His finger is the one she will be placing a ring on. His lips are the ones she will be kissing. His eyes are the ones she will be laying her attractive blue eyes on the whole time.

Knock knock

The door is opened.

"Pheebs, you don't look great. What happened?"

I promise Phoebe to keep her company until tomorrow comes. I expected her to be excited, lively and cheerful like the way she always is, but now she isn't at all.

"I am afraid I no longer want to get married."

I am supposed to be secretly satisfied with that; however, I hate to see her upset. And if I cannot help her figure out ways to fix it, she will get humiliated, to cancel the wedding at the last minute, and that is allowed to happen only over my dead body.

She throws her body at me and wraps her arms around me, and I automatically hold her into my arms. I feel her cardigan against my hands. My lips kiss her smooth forehead as my nose keeps inhaling her golden hair. No one, I bet, ever looks at her the way I do, carefully listens to every word she utters the way I do, remembers every dress she wears the way I do, and is obsessed with her the way I am. Even Mike. I couldn't be more assured, indeed.

"Tell me what happened." I ask her as I rub her shoulders tightly.

"If I marry Mike, I'll get to live with him forever. I don't really know if we all will get to hang out as often. Joey, I'm scared."

"Come on, Pheebs. I'll definitely take you with me whenever you want me to."

"Really?" Her eyes go brighter than a minute ago, but not as much as they should be, and she now is my responsibility to take care of. No one tells me so really, but my throbbing heart.

I nod with a large smile which is made for her only, no one will ever get to see it.

"Joey, you have been so generous and kind to me. How can I return your kindness?" I know she really means it. Her begging eyes always make me surrender. Isn't it funny? Just to look directly into my eyes, she'll get everything she wants.

"Oh! What about dropping two sandwiches at my place every Saturday. Huh?" It is only a joke, an awful joke, for hiding my feelings.

"Are you kidding? Because I'm gonna do that for you, if you really want me to."

"Of course, I'm kidding!" I laugh then pad her back through her orange cardigan gently. "Look, all I ever ask from you is that I want you to be happy with your marriage, to have adorable children, and to stop being so beautiful before I would have to gasp every time I see you. It interrupts my eating time, you know?"

Now she laughs too, the most fantastic laugh ever. "You're so sweet, Joey!"

I touch her soft hair; thereafter, she ushers me into her bedroom so that we could start a long-night conversation. "Six hours left before dawn. What are we going to do then?"

"Talking? There're so many things I want to share with you."

I nod.

"Oh! Can I use your record player? On my way here, I keep humming a song and I can't get it out. The best way is to listen to it. Do you have Kath Bloom vinyl?"

"Sure!"

I placed a needle on the vinyl, and the song started to play.

Have I never laid down by your side?
Baby, let's forget about this pride.
Come here. Come here.

"Remember when we first met?"

I hastily reply, "Of course. You were singing Gloria Gayner's song, dancing naked. It was hilarious!"

We both laugh insanely, picturing those young and idiotic times back then; I can see Phoebe strengthening her belly because of her uncontrollable laugh. "I was so stupid! How didn't I notice you were behind me?"

"I don't know. Maybe you were into your song too much."

"Maybe"

Our eyes meet. My world is spinning around.

September, 1992

"Monica has a roommate?" I had just finished my last sandwich that Monica gave me as a gift for the first week I moved in with Chandler

Chandler nodded, "Her name is Phoebe."

"What does she look like? Is she hot?"

"I bet she's your type. Blonde long hair. Tall. Thin." He replied almost immediately.

I made a sly grin "Now I wonder how she's doing."

"Anyway, I think she's a bit weird, you know, I tried to get along with her, but she always says weird things. And oh! She's a real hippy."

"That's alright. As long as she's hot, nothing else matters."

I crossed the hall to Monica's place as soon as Chandler told me about the Phoebe girl. Now I had no one, it was such a perfect time to spatter my charm and attractiveness to a hot girl. As soon as I arrived, I noticed the door wasn't locked, and there was music playing loud behind the door. Should I knock first? Or should I just come in and see what her face looked like when she was astonished.

After deciding to push the door open, I got to cover my eyes right away because of a naked dancing body.

"Shit!" She screamed then grabbed a throw that was laying across the couch. "Who the hell are you?! What are you doing here?!"

I tried to pull myself together, but all I had at this moment was an intermittent greeting. "You're Monica's roommate, huh? I, er, I mean, nice to meet you!"

"Get out, you jerk!"

Now

"I was a complete drama queen."

I laugh, "No, you weren't."

"Can I lay my head on your lap?" Phoebe asks with an adorable smile. Nothing is more precious than this, I swear.

"Sure."

Well, I'm in no hurry.
Don't have to run away this time.
I know you're timid.
But it's going to be alright this time.
There's a wind that blows in from the north.
And it says that loving takes its course.
Come here. Come here.

Please come here.

"I wish this song never ended."