The distance from my house to classes is 7 minutes. And everyday I cover these fruitless 7 minutes with him.
"Come to the side", he said. He wasn’t bossing me around, it was just an old habit I'll never get used to. Not because I don't remember it but because every time he says it, I'm reminded of how much he cares.
Although the odds of a car knocking me down on a street in this lane are really low.
This is my gully and gully is a big deal here. People don’t risk such tussles here unless they're really in for a truckload of shoulder pushes and "Zyaada samjh main aa rahi hai? conversations.
I've been in my own head for too long, long enough for me to start missing his voice. So I ask him about his day until then and he tells me about the unrest in his house. I listen as calmly as I can although beneath my skin my blood is boiling at the thought of my precious boy bearing the mess alone. There's nothing much I can actually say. I manage to blurt out an "It'll get better soon In Shaa Allah" as sincerely as possible although I myself am not sure about it.
But for him, those words have some different effect, he slows down, looks at me and says, "It got better 7 mins back". With that he walks into the classroom and joins his boyfriends for some jokes while I make my way with a blushing face to the centre of the group of scheming girls.