Daddy Issues

4 days has passed, since Marinette and I have started the project together. I'm weirdly nervous when I talk to her, planning what I'd say next, or was wondering if the joke I cracked made no sense. It's after school and surprisingly my father has nothing planned today, so supposedly I should be practicing piano right now. Instead, I grab my phone and scroll on Instagram.

Maybe around 20 minutes pass, then suddenly Gorilla my assistant knocks on my door, then leads me to the front foyer. As I walk down the stairs, I see a familiar face.

I spot Marinette holding bundles of notebooks and paper, standing in the middle of the wide room. Though i continue to walk down the long staircase, I mentally freeze up and feel flustered. She was here, to see me?

"Did you see my texts?" The girl chuckles. "I told you I was coming here to finish up the project!" Marinette explains. "Oh, sorry I didn't see them! But sure we can work on it!" I answer back.

Out of nowhere, I hear footsteps, coming from the hallway. I turn my head and spot My father, being lead by Natalie to this room. The cold figure approaches us, looks her in the eye, then talks. "Son, why do you have your classmate here at this hour?" My dad speaks to me, in a stern and serious tone. I answer him back. "This is Marinette, she's my classmate! She's here for a project."

My father gives Marinette a stern and intimidating look, wiping away the friendly smile on her face. My father opens his mouth. "This project isn't done? Have you paired with someone incompetent?" 

I'm left shocked. Marinette and I look at each other, she looks back at him offended. How dare he say that Infront of her!? Is she okay? Will she hate me now?

Before I could open my mouth, I'm interrupted. "Ahem" Marinette gains his attention.

 "Actually, Mr. Agrest." I look at her, surprised. 

"We started this project just around 4 days ago, doing an assignment about the historically accurate depiction of Rome. Which is actually going to take us around a month, knowing the due date isn't until 4 weeks. So I think we'll have plenty of time handling this task. Maybe if you check up on your son, Adrien once in a while, you'd be involved in his life knowing what his projects are, how his school is doing, and who is friends are. Who are in fact, very."

 "Competent."

Me and father look at her, suprised. I was terrified for her, and also amazed. She's probably my first friend to ever speak up to my dad. Even Nino couldn't get out a full sentence without running away. My father, silent and slightly embarrassed, glares at her. Then suddenly lights his face up.

"Wait, I know who you are. You're the daughter of the owners of the finest bakery in Paris." 

Marinette breaks her death stare, and gives a satisfied bright smile.

"Glad to see Adrien have more friends with a successful, well known family."

My father turns around.

"I'd like to see you around, Marinette."

Natalie and him walks away, to his office. Making us stand there alone.

My jaw on the floor, still looking at his closed office door. What.... just happened.

Suddenly, a small soft hand grabs my wrist. I turn to Marinette. She holds me tightly. Her eyes, looking through me. Gripping the textbooks against her side. My face, turns red. Flushed.

 "Lets go finish that project!" She smiles.