Chapter 45

Crosby, Liverpool - England, 2027

- And... the... Rainbow Fish... gave... away... his... scales, one.... - The door bell ringing interrupts Sofía from reading the book she has in her hands. 

Hero exchanges a quick look with his daughter, who is staring at him with the same surprised face. 

Josephine and Sofía arrived home an hour ago from their chocolate, and while they waited for Hero to return from work, she helped her daughter take a shower by washing her long blonde hair. Thirty minutes later, Hero came back and Jo insisted that he could go before her in the shower with the excuse of him being sweaty. Now, father and daughter were waiting in the meantime for Jo to finish showering so they could start preparing dinner. And practicing Sofía's reading skills withThe Rainbow Fish story seemed to be the best thing to do until she finished.

Hero stands up from the couch and walks to the main door. He gets even more surprised when he opens it. 

- Hey, Merc! - His sister is standing on the other side of the door with a big smile. - What are you doing here? 

- Auntie Mercy! - Sofía comes running to her after hearing her name. 

The tall blonde girl enters the house, and opens her arms ready to catch her niece. 

- Well, I'm here to babysit. - She says happily holding Sofía in her arms like a baby. 

- Why? I didn't call you or texted you. - Hero cannot be more confused.

- I did. - They all turn around just to see Josephine standing in the middle of the stairway.

She is wearing a basic black t-shirt with black denim shorts and, even though that's the colour her clothes normally are, the fact that she is wearing a beige-furry coat and tall furry boots plus her glasses, makes her look so gorgeous.

Thanks to Mercy's complicity, Jo has organized what she pompously calls "their first date". After changing his sweatpants and hoodie for a pair of black skinny jeans and a warm grey jumper, Hero and her leave the house. 

Hero limits to drive, and by following Jo's directions they arrive to a beautiful restaurant in the middle of Liverpool city. The couple decides to go for a walk before having dinner, so with their fingers intertwined they enjoy the cool breeze of the night.

- After having a daughter in common and sleeping together for two months now, don't you think it makes nonsense to have a "first date"? - Hero chuckles. 

Josephine frowns. It clearly makes sense for her, maybe not because of the normal reasons of having a first date but because she has some news to tell him. Even though Hero already knows it, she wants to assure him once again that she is not leaving them. 

- I... I found a driving school. - She finally unveils the first new of the night.

Now is Hero who frowns. Jo can see that her announcement didn't have the effect she was expecting. After all, he knows how much respect she has to drive on the left side. So, why would she risk her life by driving on the left side if she weren't willing to stay? Josephine really wants to transmit him how much she is compromised with them and the life they have now.

- Also, I reviewed again my savings with the family accountant. Although the enourmous quantity I had to give to that brand after they sued me, I can still be calmed. So, I have decided to enroll into university. 

This time Hero almost trips while walking when he hears the news. Luckily, Josephine grabs him by the arm before he ends on the floor. Then he gets what Jo is trying to do, and despite he doesn't need her to do it because he knows she is not going anywhere, Hero jokes with it.