22

Sorry for the late update!! I'm busy writing my book which is set to drop on the 1st of Nov! Also, please check out my latest work, "Culprit"! It's a mystery/thriller book! 🥰

Leonid's POV

I still couldn't wrap my head around why Andrea hated me so much. Her words constantly ring in my ear, stealing my sleep.

She'd come up with the perfect plan to lure me out. Not Nik, but Leonid. If I didn't know her and she'd concocted such a plan, there was a chance she'd have succeeded in luring me out.

Now, all I needed to do, was ensure her plan went smoothly. I'd let her steal my shipment, an extra shipment, just for her. The only thing would be showing up, which of course, I wasn't stupid enough to do. Leonid Volkov would definitely show up, but not physically.

"Its time, brother." Sasha says, dropping off a laptop on the table. He continues, "I'll be in the other room."

It was a virtual meeting between my men, I and Sasha. If Andrea was going to attack them, they needed to know. The laptop camera is sealed already, and the voice altered, but as a safety measure, I always geared up with a mask and hoodie.

"The boss has a few things to share with you." Sasha says, as the video call commences.

"The head of a family should always be in contact with the members of his table. I apologize for not communicating with you for a while. Before I proceed, is there anything I should be aware of?"

"Nothing, golova." I hear repeated choruses.

"There's an American police officer after us. She's here, in Russia."

"I'll kill her." Henrik, one member states. Before I can speak, more of them begin to talk, some saying derogatory comments about Andrea.

"Silence, and let me speak."

The call goes quiet at once.

"No one will lay a finger on her. You harm her, you die." I warn them. "She's my pawn, and I will kill her only when I want to."

I see Sasha's reaction to my words change. He doesn't appreciate my comment. How could I kill a member for the sake of a police officer?

"She will be busting one of our shipments in the next few days. Henrik and Oslov, I want the both of you to be the ones she takes. The rest of you, under no circumstances must you cross paths with this woman in question. If you do cross paths with her, do not say a word to her, and run. I say this because she's no average woman. This woman is just as dangerous and armed as you all are."

"But, golova. . . If I might ask. . . Why do we have to go through so much when we can just get rid of her, I mean she won't be the first." Oslov says.

"You will do what you're told without question." Henrik warns Oslov. I shut the computer.

In a few minutes, Sasha appears.

Andrea's POV

I circle out the border exits and entrances that Volkov and his men could possibly use to import and export drugs out. Another thought pops into my head.

"What if he flies them? I wouldn't put anything past him." My hands would be tied if Volkov was flying his product out. It would mean that the Russian authorities were in cahoots with him, which I knew they were, and I would get in serious trouble. I couldn't risk getting extradited back to the states without catching Volkov. I was as good as dead the moment I stepped into my country. I nod the thought out of my head. I couldn't die now. I hadn't had my first kiss, I was still a virgin, and I wasn't happily married. I couldn't die anytime soon.

I pause, my attention moving towards the window, as I hear voices. I could recognize Irina's, but wasn't so sure of the second voice. I walk to the window, and take a peek. It was Irina and some guy. He looked familiar. I rack my brain, trying to remember where I'd seen him. Right. He was the guy from the other night. What where they talking about? Could it have been about me? I couldn't make out what they were saying. I try concentrating, so I can read their lips, when Irina turns her head, our eyes meeting. I quickly drop the curtain. Fuck. I didn't want to have any reason to interact with Irina, and it seemed like I just gave her one. There's a knock on the door. I sigh. Of course she'd come to harass me again. I would just apologize, and listen to all the colorful words she had for me. I open the door, "Irina, I really didn't— I pause, as my eyes meet with the man.

"Detective Leister. Allow me to formally introduce myself," He says, holding my hand. I feel chills all over my body, as I listen to him. There was something off about him.

"My name is. . ." He doesn't complete the sentence. He continues, "I've heard so much about you." He says, still holding my hands. I remove my hands.

I cough, uncomfortable, and unsure of what to respond. "Good things, I hope?"

"Very, very good things. However, what have you heard about me?" He asks.

"Nothing?" I respond. "I don't really know who you are."

"Ah. Nobody bad mouthed me. I'm touched."

"So. . . Who are you?" I ask, curious. There was something about him. It felt like something familiar, but I couldn't tell what it was.

"Unlike my righteous brother, I, am bad. Very bad, detective."

"I don't understand you."

"My brother is good, and I'm bad. My brother is an officer of the law, and I'm a gangster." He says. "Cut from the opposite side of the cloth." He smiles, revealing a pair of golden teeth.

I raise an eyebrow, realization setting in. He was a criminal, and I felt it. It's why I felt cold all of a sudden. Even my body could tell when I was beside a criminal. "Really? And you're aware I'm an officer of the law too, right? I can arrest you right now."

"No, you can't. You're in my country, and you hold no power here. There's really nothing you can do. I'm telling you because I want to trust you."

What did that even mean? "But Nik can."

"Did he ever tell you the reason he quit his job?"

"I don't understand."

What the fuck was going on? Why was he trying to get into my head? Was he truly Nik's brother, or was I in serious danger? I look over my shoulder, trying to find where I put my gun. Fuck.

"He can't work as a police officer when he knows what I am, who I am." He says.

"Well, Nik and I have plans in the morning. I need to finish up my work." I say, trying to shut the door.

He blocks the door.

"You need to leave." I state.

"Aren't you curious? Don't you want to know who I am?"

"Who are you, then?"

"The one you've been looking for, Andrea Leister. Leonid Volkov." He says, and I freeze.