19

The next few days seem to fly by, and all it's thanks to the guys. During the day Noah or Jasper stay with me in the house, Noah always talking and cooking up a storm, and Jasper finding new things around the house to fix so he won't have to talk to me- although every now and then I'll catch his gaze and it's like the night we met all over again. The moment the rest finish with class on campus they come over to my place, Freddy jumping into Noah's antics while Oliver helps me sort through my coursework and Theo sketches the night away. Jasper is here through all of this whether or not it was his day to 'babysit' me, coming in after work he remains a steady figure in the room.

My house that was once cold and dark is now filled with voices and warmth. The spirits have largely kept away and it has made the whole ordeal so much easier to deal with.

It's the weekend before I am to come back to school and all day Theo and Oliver have been acting strange. Occupied with Noah and Freddy in the kitchen earlier I did not notice it, but when the two of them leave to pick up some groceries for dinner I am faced with the two of them whispering to each other in the living room.

I lean against the door jamb and I watch on as their whispers turn heated. I can't actually hear anything they're saying, but by the looks of it Theo is trying to convince Oliver of doing something. Going off of the vehement shaking of his head no it's clear what Oliver's response is to his request.

"Any good gossip?" I ask from my perch at the entrance of the room.

My voice is like a needle to a bubble they were encased in while arguing and both their heads snap up. Oliver's eyes hold a twinge of fear and I feel concern growing in me as to why he looks this way.

"Not any good gossip no, but Oliver here has a question he'd like to ask you." With Theo lightly shoves him in my direction before walking out of the room.

My head tracks his exit and my eyebrows furrow in confusion as to what's going on.

"I wanted to wait until you were feeling better before bringing this up I swear." Oliver begins and I look back to him. 

His shoulders are slumped and he looks lost, wanting to solve the problem as soon as possible I take a few steps until I am right in front of him. I look up, searching his face hoping the problem would appear to me, but I see nothing but a creased forehead. My hand reaches out unconsciously as if to smooth out the lines on his forehead, but my fingertips catch on the side of his face instead. He leans into my hand and his eyes close.

"What has you so tangled up?" I ask.

"Ivy...I need you- well I was hoping you could explain something to me." He says, his eyes open and peer deep into my own.

"Of course, what's wrong?"

"There was- I mean I saw, God why is this so hard? It's just, I don't know how to ask you this without sounding insane."

My thumb strokes his cheek as my hand still rests against his face.

"I promise no matter what it is I'll do my best to help you figure it out." I earnestly tell him.

He opens his mouth to ask me whatever has been causing him so much turmoil, but before he gets a word out the front door swings open with a bang.

The loud noise has me jumping, and almost like it was instinct Oliver grabs me and stands in front of me.

"Babbbyyy carrrrooottttttt, I'm home!" Freddie bellows into the house.

My shaking hands clench the back of Oliver's sweater tightly, and as I try to steady my breath I press my forehead into his back. With the most recent interaction with the dark spirit I had become significantly more jumpy.