Chapter 1.

Fear.

Fear was the only feeling she knew in this surreal world. Everything was black, you could see nothing.

Nothing but their eyes and teeth.

Fera ran and ran, but the monster was close behind her. She looked behind her shoulder and saw the monster grind it's teeth and stare at her, visible bloodthirst in it's eyes.

They were cannibals. Fera was one of them.

Fera tripped and she thought it was over. Like she did ever day in this cruel world, in which she already survived for six whole years. She was still a child. Of course she didn't know that, she had no sense of time. How was she even supposed to know wether it was night or day? This world was always pitch black.

The monsters cold, glowing, blue eyes glared at her. It was ready to attack.

Fera knew if she didn't get up now, she would end up as the monsters prey.

Despite the state of shock she was in, she quickly got up and ran. She was used to this by now. She knows how to get away from her kind. She was breathing rapidly, she was afraid she might actually die this time. At that thought, she ran even faster.

She was fast, but the monster was too.

Once it got too close again, she used her tentacles and pushed it away, giving her a bit more time.

She needed to get as far away from it as possible, so the monster couldn't sense her presence anymore.

So she ran and ran, desperately hoping she wouldn't accidentally bump into another one of her kind.

The monster may have been fast, but Fera had more perseverance. Soon, she couldn't feel its presence anymore. Fera sat down and was finally able to relax for a few seconds. She was really relieved. She still had to be careful, there could have been one behind her right now that was extremely good at hiding its presence. It was a good tactic, the same she used as well. But it drains energy. A lot of it. Which means you would have to find new prey sooner.

Fera sighed, knowing that she needed to find new prey soon, too. She could just try to find the monster that chased her a few minutes ago, but that would be too risky. It was too strong for her to fight. She needed to find some weak ones.

She looked around, trying to see if she could find some glowing eyes in the distance. It was risky, others could see her eye too.

She screamed as she felt teeth stabbing into her flesh.

She was not careful enough.

Someone had sneaked up behind her, and she didn't even notice despite trying to be careful. It hid its presence.

She reacted quickly, using her tentacles and pushing the monster away. She looked into its eye, it was yellow, just like hers.

She couldn't run away anymore.

She couldn't make it, she was tired and the monster was already too close.

She needed to fight.

Fera knew what she had to do.

Fera was one of the few monsters with tentacles, she rarely sees others with them. If she does, she runs, knowing they were strong. Stronger than her, probably.

She used her tentacles and wrapped them tightly around her enemies body, making them unable to move. With the last tentacle she had left, she choked the monster.

It was painful to look at.

All these monsters want is to survive, and for that they need food. Taking someone else's life to continue your own, just to end up as the prey another day. A sad, meaningless life. Yet they want to continue it. Because living in constant fear and hunger is better than death, right..?

Looking in the monsters eyes like that, she almost pitied it. But she's just doing what she has to do, isn't she?

The monsters muscles that were so tense before were now starting to let loose. It closed its eyes.

It died.

Fera was lucky it was so weak, she finally had something to eat. She feels like it's been ages since she's eaten something.

As tired as she was, it was hard to use all that strength to choke her prey, but she still did it.

Before consuming her prey, she concentrated to see if she could feel anyone else's presence. Luckily, there was nothing. 

Her arm still hurt from the bite, but she knew it would heal soon if she eats well.

She bit into her preys flesh. Disgusting, it really was disgusting. But there's nothing else to eat. The only thing that exists here are these monsters. 

She hungrily took another bite. Yes, yes it was disgusting. But did she care? No, she did not.

~~~

She had finally finished her food.

She stood up, feeling energy rush through her. She felt really great actually! She hasn't eaten something for so long, it's always a great feeling when you finally have new energy. If someone decided to chase her now, they'd have no chance. She looked around, making sure no one was behind her.

Then, she realized that something was off.

It's been so empty...? Usually, she would have to deal with around 7 monsters, but this time it was only 2.

It was great, no one would be there to chase her. But it was very unusual.

Looking into the distance, she saw something even more strange.

There was a big, twirling circle. It couldn't be an eye, eyes don't look like that. It wasn't a mouth either. So what was it? Fera was curious so she approached it.

She stood right before it, staring at it. She was really confused. Fera reached out with her hand and touched it, relieved it didn't hurt her. 

Her finger went through it?

Even more curious, she put her whole hand inside. Then her arm. The parts that were inside felt weird, it felt... warm? She liked the warmth, so she stepped right through it, not knowing what would happen next.

~~~

Yes, I know I'm evil.

Anyways, I hope you liked the first chapter.

I'm always open for feedback!

Updates will probably be at random times, they might be slow, I'm not sure. I might just stop updating it for three months just to then suddenly say it's discontinued, like with all my books. But I hope not. 

See you next chapter, I hope!

1057 words