CHAPTER 1

Ridhima, a photographer, enters the house of the Mukerjees. The head of the house is Mrs. Saramalikaa, a widowed and arrogant lady from the Mukerjees House. She had one child, Manav, a 35-year-old boy who cares only about money. The brother-in-law of Saramalika, Mr. Karan, is in his middle 50s, along with his wife Swapna, a woman in coma since 25 years, and a daughter named Draazi, who is 27 years old. Three servants are present in the house: a cook, a housekeeper, a male gardener, and a personal assistant. Ridhima enters the house, bends in front of Saramalika, and says, I'm Ridhima, a photographer and Manav's friend. Saramalika says she is so glad to have you here; you can stay here until your work gets over, and she calls up Sarita, the servant, to show the room to the guest. Ridhima walks up the stairs and sees that a big photograph has been hidden by a big curtain. She asks about it to the servant. The servant says, Don't utter a word, and takes her to the room. Suddenly, Ridhima notices a girl entering the house with a black dress and a veil covering her face, as she is a Muslim. Saramalika asks the girl to go to the right-hand side room on the upper floor, where no body is allowed. Saramalika's room is on the left-hand side, adjacent to which was the room of Karan and his daughter. On the ground floor lie four rooms one of which is for Swapna, where she is unconscious. The other room is for Manav, the third room is for the servants, and the fourth room is locked permanently. The second floor of the house has one room that is enough for 20 people to stay in, where Ridhima is made to stay. Ridhima asks about the house, and the servant says not to tell anyone else about it. Ridhima nods her head, and the servant closes the door.