Childhood Friendship

Hello people,

I've written something after a long time.

I hope you can still feel the spark in my writing.

Over to you!

_____________________________________________

Childhood Friendship

It was a regular day at school, 9 monsoons ago as I remember when a rainy day conspired our meeting for the first time. It wasn't anything grave as the overhyped first meetings shown in the movies. Just one big puddle at our school-ground filled with muddy water and two unknown kids jumping and splashing on it, relishing in the feel of known fondness for the activity. Unknowingly, a friendship was founded.

I guess it was around 6 autumns ago when the upgradation in our friendship sparked just like the maple tree around the park unloading its leaves making way for new ones. That was the time of surplus usage of suffix 'best' in describing what kind of friends we were.

I still remember that Christmas, around 3 Winters ago, when we opened a little window of our insecurities, for each other to have a peek. Sitting at the terrace of your home, despite the chill in the surroundings, the depth of our friendship kept us warm inside.

Today, as we sat at the Airport lounge more or less in the similar position as that night, we reel in the abyss of so much said and unsaid. Our melancholic faces contrasting with the cheerful Spring afternoon outside. Having spent almost a decade being each other's idea of comfort, this separation and its uncertainties are so uncalled for. Yet we know, career is not something to be meddled with.

2 summers later, standing alone beneath the same maple tree, I realised how change has seeped slowly in our friendship. It was uncomfortable to being with but it has mastered the art of getting acceptance, sooner or later. We were very much the part of each other's happy-sad moments but from far and that far isn't only the distance between the two cities. We were still walking together but giving space for others to join us too.

Glancing out through the window of my room, all I could see is the haze, the haze created by harshly pouring rains cutting through the blanket of jet black sky. The loud pitter-patter of those drops engulfing the silence in my head. It’s 5 monsoons since you left, the time taken for us to become the haze in each other's lives, to mix in the dust that blinds our memory, for good and bad. Still, I desperately look for that one muddy puddle that could bring us closer. Do you too?

I'd ask you in our next chat that might take months to happen. And like always, I'd wait, cause why not, Childhood Friendship is special.

_____________________________________________

So, what say?