[12] Problem

C H A P T E R   T W E L V E !Problem

Problem

Mercy's presence had been requested in the guidance office, which is why she was currently on her way there, leaving Scott and Stiles to go their separate ways.

It was all the way towards the end of the school, cut off and secluded from everything else. Mercy guessed that was helpful if you didn't want people to witness your psychotic breaks.

When she made it there, the door was closed, so she knocked lightly, waiting for a response. "Come in."

Mercy opened the door, and was shocked by who was sitting at the desk. "Dr. Morrell? What are you doing here?"

"I was offered a job here." The woman replies. "I still devote my free time to the asylum as well."

Mercy nods, letting the door close behind her. "Take a seat, please." Morrell says, nodding towards the empty chair.

"I noticed you were attending here, and thought I'd check to see how you're doing." Morrell explained.

"I'm fine." Mercy said. "Really, it's a huge adjustment but, I'm doing well." She nodded.

"Have you made a few friends?" Morrell questioned. "It's the recommended for a high school student."

"Yes." Mercy replied. "My friends are great." She assured. "Most of the time."

"And what about you?" Morrell asked, her tone suggesting she was talking about the hidden elements. "I'm gaining control." Mercy replied, nodding.

"I have help."

"You need an anchor." Morrell sighed. "We've talked about it for as long as I can remember."

"I can't just magically find something or someone who makes me want to stay grounded." Mercy snapped. "It's out of my control."

"I'm not saying it has to be automatic." Morrell sighed. "This is fairly new for you. Being out."

"I'm trying." Mercy said, crossing her legs in her chair. "I don't want to go back."

"Your dad doesn't want you to go back either, Mercy." Morrell said, making the girl look up at her, confused.

"What does my dad have to do with this?" She asked, lowering her legs back to the ground.

Morrell pursed her lips, sensing she had made a mistake. "He... ordered this meeting."

Mercy was lost. "What he ordered you to talk to me? See how I am? Why doesn't he just—"