3

Stiles

"Hold on."

Void stops walking, pausing at the door. He turns, looking back at Argent. "Yes?"

"That's it?" The hunter asks, raising his brows. "You're okay with the fact that these creatures are alive and killing anyone who crosses their path?"

So he doesn't believe us after all. Void gives me a mental smirk. He puts his hands into his pant pockets, as if this meeting had just been a casual get together. "Can they be killed?"

He looks startled. "Yes, but-"

"Then I will kill them," Void interrupts, his expression unwavering, "even if it takes a second bullet to finish the job." This seems to shut Argent up, a flash of hurt striking the hunters eyes. If he wanted my answer to prove that it isn't Stiles standing before him, Void just confirmed it. He will not find the weak, sarcastic teenager he used to know here. Void lets his mask break for a split second, making sure Argent sees the lust in his eyes. "It's an animal." He says. "If an animal goes rabid, it can not be allowed to live." He finishes, pulling out my phone to check the time. "Now, if you'll excuse me, if I stay any longer, I am going to be late for dinner. Thank you for your time, Mr. Argent." And with that, Void walks out, leaving the hunter alone with my boss. 

The drive back home is quiet. Void has taken his place back in my mind, not speaking a word as he lets me drive through the busy rush hour traffic. As soon as I pull into the garage, my wife meets me at the door.

"And?" She asks as I set down my keys and take my jacket off.

"It was Argent." I turn to look at her briefly. 

"Allison's father?" He eyes narrow. "He was there?"

"He was the man I was supposed to meet, he gave me the information I would have needed to kill supernatural creatures... if I didn't know how to already." I walk into the kitchen, grabbing a glass from the cupboard. "I just don't understand." I exclaim, taking a bottle of aged whiskey from the shelf above the bar, facing Ella as I place the alcohol down on the counter. "Why now? What must have happened in Beacon Hills for him to get back into the business? If anything, I thought that Allison's death would have been the thing that sent him over the edge." I start pouring a quarter glass, pausing, then pouring even more. "In all honesty, I half expected him to go after me when he found out that the nogitsune was still alive."

"What if he didn't know?" She queries. "He was gone during the deadpool, and unless he visited Beacon Hills after the fact, he couldn't have found out that Void was still alive. Even if Scott told him. He's a hunter, Stiles, wouldn't he have found us already?"

I stare out the window, watching as dusk slowly falls over Calgary City. "Maybe he already has."

She thinks on my words. "You mean that this so called 'meeting' was just to make sure?"

I nod once, raising the russet colored whiskey to my lips. "I do." I mutter, downing the half glass I poured. My expression fails to change as the liquid burns down my throat, leaving a numb tingling all the way to my stomach. And, as if the whiskey had cleared my thoughts, I make my decision. "I'll tell the kids to pack their things." I say, beginning to pour myself a second glass, this time filling it four fingers from the bottom. "We're moving to California." 

Valerie

I don't even know why my brother tries anymore. Whatever he does, whatever game we're playing, he will always lose. 

"Checkmate." I say, an obvious smirk on my face. "I win. Again."

"You don't have to rub it in, Val." Carter scowls at the chess board in front of him, arms crossed and his face scrunched. We had moved on from cards a little more than ten minutes ago, in which he only won three games out of fifteen, and we have just finished our first game of chess. I slide his captured pieces back over to his side, and he does the same with mine. Just as we begin to set them back up, the basement door opens. 

"Whatever it was, it was all his fault." I point to Carter when I see my father coming down the stairs, a partially angry expression on his face. 

"Dipshit." My brother mutters, earning a look from our Dad. "Sorry." He adds quickly, knowing very well that he's no allowed to swear in the house. 

"No one's at fault here, okay?" Dad pulls a chair up to our table, flipping it around so that he's sitting on it backwards, arms crossed over the top rail. "I just have some news."

"The good type or the bad type?" I ask.

"Both."

His expression worries me. "Let's hear the good news first."

My father pauses, thinking of his phrasing. "You got your wish, Val," he starts, "we're moving to Beacon Hills." A half smile-half grimace finds it's way onto his face, as if he's trying to be happy, but can't find the right face muscles to finish the act.

I lean back. "But?"

"But when we go, I need a few favors from you guys." When I nod, he continues. "Your mother and I will be sending you both to Beacon Hills High School, the same one we went to. You will be able to keep your real names, Val, and Carter, but your last name will remain Ashford, not Stilinski." He says. "Not yet."

"Why?" Carter pipes up. 

"Because there are many people in Beacon Hills that want me dead, people that knew me by the name Stiles Stilinski."

"Scott." I don't mean to whisper the name, but I do. "He banished you from Beacon Hills, right? So now you're going back?" I raise my brows in question. "Dad, that doesn't make sense."

He hesitates, as if weighing the consequences of what he says next. "Someone, or something, is killing innocent people in this town, and they have been for almost five years. I was chosen as an undercover agent to go eliminate the threat; as you heard at the range, Val." I think back, remembering what his boss was talking to him about. I had eavesdropped the whole conversation. 

"So we move to this town, kill this creature, and then what?" I ask. "What do you want us to do?"

"I want you to find two kids for me." He begins, his eyes flickering with past memories. "A girl your age, Carter. And a boy only a year older than you, Val. They're supernatural, but not dark kitsunes." Our fathers gaze moves from me to my brother. "These teenagers are wolves, shapeshifters." And his stare rests on me. "So please, please do not get on their bad side, because I really don't want to have to kill their father when he hunts you two idiots down for messing with his pack." I hold his stare, wondering why he still looks nervous.

"Well?" Carter asks after a moment. "Who are they?"

Our father purses his lips, hesitating. "Their names are Allison and Max McCall."