Prologue ▪ Devil Town

//A/N : And so it begins! Lauren's POV. Qotd; What is your comfort song? Mine is Rät by Penelope Scott or Dope by 5H! P.S. The title of every chapter is going  to be a song! I'll make a playlist one day. //

11PM, Wednesday, September 4th.

I feel like all artists have to have that one song that really resonates, you know?

The song they blare in their room when they're depressed. The song they listen to when they're desperate for inspiration. The song they listen to when they're in an alleyway on the back side of town smoking a joint.

Maybe a bit too specific?

I laugh to myself quietly, and breathe out the smoke filling my lungs. This was my life.

Ever since they made art illegal I'd spent most nights either with my ex-partner-in-crime or doing exactly what I'm doing right now; getting high.

Both were fucking amazing, but I missed it.

Not that I'd fully stopped of course; I'd still drawn in my book and when I felt really wild I'd tag a building back in the slums, but it wasn't the same. I'd gone to college for artistry for fucks sake. This was my life's plan and the government took it away in 3 small words in the headline of a newspaper; 'Fine Arts Illegalized.'

And now, I risk getting criminally charged and thrown in jail just for speaking of my past with art.

That was worth it to me, but I had to take care of my little siblings. They depended on me..

Just proves that dreams are hopeless, doesn't it?

I shake off my thoughts and tug my backpack onto my shoulder, flicking my joint into the puddle beside the dumpster I was leaned against. At least the alley didn't stink this time.

Checking my watch and realizing I had to be at the bus station in 23 minutes if I wanted to get home without walking, and the bus stop being 40 minutes away, I began sprinting down the dark side walk.

Thank god my comfort song was upbeat..

--

It was about 2 minutes past due time, and I'd finally arrived just as the bus doors slid shut.

Fuck!

"Wait wait wait no please!"

"Sorry girlie, the next ones at 5." A rather bulky man sitting in the driver's seat shouted in return. I can't wait til 5!

"Sir please! I can't wait that long!" I plead with shaky, cold hands. I really should've brought gloves.

"Sorry, have a nice night!"

The large blue bus screeched to life, and I slump into the bench behind me. 6 hours? Are you fucking joking me?

I pull my phone out of my pocket and send my baby sister a message informing her I won't be home tonight, and that I was going to walk straight to work instead.