(𝐈.)𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐘𝐄𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐀𝐁𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐄𝐃

━═━═━═━═━┤➴├━═━═━═━═━

THEIR EYES LOCKED WITH THE OTHER, ONE FILLED WITH FEAR WHILE THE OTHER CONFUSION. Neither of them knew who the other was, causing both to be cautious about the other.

The two continued staring at one another.

The girl had pale, very pale, skin and cheekbones very visible. Actually, her arms and legs were also very bony. Her lips were crusty and quivering.

Despite her frail figure, she looked like she was about Mikasa's age.

Levi shifted his eyes to the crystal layer that separates the two. He furrowed his eyebrows at it, seemingly as though thinking about how to get her out.

He looked at her again and lifted his hand up. His finger touched the crystal, making the girl flinch slightly. The action did not go unnoticed by Levi as he mentally noted that the girl was jumpy.

He placed his hand against the clear layer and looked at her expectantly while observing the crystal-like layer separating the two.

Curiously, the girl looked at his hand. Although being slender for regular humans, her hand was surely way thinner than his.

She looked into his eyes once more before placing her hand against the other side of the crystal layer, just opposite of his.

They locked eyes as if communicating telepathically.

Safe. That was the word that repeated in the girl's mind over and over again. Kind of.

Just then, the layer shattered into tiny pieces, making the girl flinch hard. She immediately snatched back her hand and crawled back into her hiding spot, hoping that it would protect her from him.

The captain, too, backed away a little, not expecting that to happen at all. His caution was raised as he drew his sword but slightly decreased when he saw the girl shaking more than before. It was clear that she did not expect that either.

The girl let out a shaky breath as she continued to hug herself. Silence enveloped them, reminding the male that he had to get back soon.

"Hello," he hesitantly and awkwardly said, "... What are you doing here?"

She fearfully glanced at him but stayed quiet.

"Oi, I asked you a question," he said a little louder. The tone seemed to have frightened her which made him sigh and pinch the glabella part of his face, just in between his eyebrows.