FOUR

CLICK CLICK. Clove stood in front of the short blonde woman, waiting for her picture to be taken. Putting the camera down on the desk, the woman began to type frantically, her eyes filtering from one side of the screen to the other.

     "Here you are, darling. This is your student ID and your dorm keys. Make sure you don't lose them." She said, a reassuring smile plastered on her face. With a small nod, Clove walked over to Jack, who was leaning against the wall waiting for her.

     "Let me see your photo." He said, quickly grabbing the card out of her loose grip and examining it. "Goddamnit," He exclaimed, handing Clove her card. "Why does everyone's photo have to look so much better than mine?"

     "What does yours look like?" Clove asked, suddenly curious.

     "Trust me, you don't want to see it."

     "Yeah, I do." Clove said, her hands on her hips.

     "Well, too bad." He said, sticking it into his back pocket. "You will never see it." Clove rolled her eyes before they both began walking back towards the car.

     To no surprise, Jack's mother was out of the car by the time they arrived and was chatting with another parent, laughing lightly at something that was said. Not wanting to disturb the conversation, they headed to the boot and unloaded their bags.

     "Oh, Clove, come here, I want you to meet someone." Walking to the other side of the car to meet the woman, she glanced at Jack, who was staring at his phone — which Clove didn't remember seeing two seconds ago. The woman had long blonde locks and blue eyes, and even though she was probably in her 30s or 40s, she looked quite young. "This is April. She has a son that is in the same grade as you and Jack."

     The woman, April, gave her a warm smile as she stuck her hand out for Clove to shake. "It's nice to meet you, Clove. Your aunt has told me a lot about you." Clove shot her a small smile, hoping that it didn't look as awkward as she felt. "She's very proud of your athletic accomplishments, and I would be too. Getting a scholarship to this school is not easy." She continued before Clove was able to say anything. "I'm so sorry, but I must go find my son now. I look forward to speaking to you all again." April said as she glanced at the expensive gold watch clasped around her wrist before walking away, her heels clicking against the pavement.

     "She's a very nice woman, but she doesn't always let others speak." Enobaria commented before turning towards the two of them. "Do you both have your dorm keys?"

     "Yep," Jack said, holding his key up.

     "Great, let's go to your rooms then." She said, clapping her hands together and walking towards the school. Clove grabbed the handle of both luggages and began to wheel them towards the direction of the dorms, Jack following behind her.

     Walking down the wide pathway lined with trees, Clove saw many different students around. Many held luggages and duffel bags, while others were empty handed and rushing towards friends. They soon arrived at a large brick building that looked to have at least ten levels. Although the exterior looked old, the inside smelled of fresh paint and the furniture looked to be brand new. The floor was carpeted and a few couches were scattered across the large room, accompanied by televisions and book shelves.

     The three continued to the elevators before Enobaria turned and asked about their rooms. Jack was in room 4D, while Clove was in 5A. As the metal doors slid open, they all stepped inside, tugging their luggages in as well. Enobaria decided to help Clove to her room first, since it was her first year, and then go down to help Jack when she was settled.