First Chapter

The war was home to Dream. The silver clashing of swords, the heavy weight of his armour. Swing after swing after swing in a sensational dance with death. Boots in the mud, clothes splattered with dark specs of blood. The one thing he trusted most, his sword Spirit, lousy in his hand, until an enemy would be in reach. Dream aimed for weak points in both body and mind.

He made the war a game. His game. Nothing was more fun than letting the opponent dance and dance, letting them think they have a chance before he would take the lead and end their waltz of death.

Though what he enjoyed most were the nights at the camp. The ache of used muscles. The cold water on his burning skin after a day in the sun, washing off anything that was left after a day of dancing. Once the wounded were cared for and the soldiers were as clean as they could get, they would sit by the campfires. Dream loved the lazy after adrenaline feeling that fell over his body after battle. Lazily he would listen to the soldiers talk.

It was mainly about girls, something all soldiers missed. His best friend, the raven haired Sapnap, was the one that always had stories. Dream didn't care about the stories. He had no one waiting for him at home, he had all he needed here in the camp. He just listened to his friends talk while sipping on lukewarm, watered down beer.

One day after battle Dream sat in front of his tent, cleaning Spirit of the dust and blood she had gained in a battle the day before. His buddy once again mumbling on about his thoughts, dreams and ideas. Dream payed more attention to the sharp sound of the sharpening stone against his blade, sharpening the sides that grew dull on armour and bone.

"Those Egg soldiers were going for it yesterday." Sapnap suddenly spoke.

Dream kept sharpening while he replied: "I heard they are gaining territory in the South. It's just rumors though, you don't know how much of it is true."

"I know, but..." Sapnap paused for a second. "These Egg guys are persistent. I think I'm just making up a doom scenario or something, but I sometimes wonder what would happen if we couldn't keep this fighting up. Maybe-"

"My Lords."

Dream looked up as Sapnap stopped talking to meet the eyes that belonged to the voice.

"Messenger." Dream greeted after he had tossed aside the sharpening stone and put Spirit back in her sheath.

"Lord Dream." The messenger spoke. "Your attendance is requested in the commanders tent. It's urgent."

Dream looked back at his friend. The heavy atmosphere from a second ago was nowhere to be found and Sapnap was painfully obvious in the way he checked this boy out. The way the boy shifted his weight from foot to foot under the raven's gaze amused Dream.

"What may your name be, dear messenger?" Dream asked, his voice honey coated.

The boy blushed by the sweet tone. "It's Karl, my Lord."

"Very well then Karl," Dream spoke. "I'll be on my way then. Why don't you take a little rest here. I'm sure my friend can get you something to drink."

Dream sent Sapnap a playful wink before he left the two behind and headed to the camp square.
He wasn't too worried about this request. He was a respected knight and a friend of the commander. Which was quite remarkable since Dream wasn't born in a royal family, he had to claw his way up through the ranks.

After some time Dream arrived at the commanders tent. The guard outside pushed aside the cloth, opening the way into the tent. Dream thanked him and stepped inside.

He kneeled down before his superior.

"Commander Technoblade."

"Lord Dream." The pinkhaired man greeted him back. He gestured for Dream to stand back up.