One: Booth

"Come on, Booth!" she said, begging me. "It's only two weeks and there has to be a second applicant."

"No, Bones," I insisted, brushing her off. I made my way to AP English Lit., Bones following close behind me. Her dark hair was pushed back behind her ears, showing off her face. She was cute when she was determined. "It's not my thing, you know that."

"The benefits outweigh the drawbacks—dammit, Seeley Joseph Booth, will you stop walking so fast and talk to me?"

I stopped and faced her, rolling my eyes. "Don't call me Seeley, Temperance."

Bones stepped so close, her warm breath sent shivers down my spine. As usual, she challenged me, establishing herself as Alpha. "Don't call me Temperance."

"Then don't call me Seeley."

She analyzed my face before smirking. "Truce?"

I gave her a sly smile. "Truce. But I'm still not going to the camp."

She groaned. "It'll look great on a college application and you might learn something, you know."

"Are you implying that I'm dumb?"

"Of course not, but Booth—hey!"

Bones collided with a girl coming around the corner and flew to the ground. It was Tiffany Wilkes, a prissy cheerleader with the personality of a wet mop and an IQ so low, I was surprised she could speak English.

"Watch where you're going, Morticia," she spat at Bones, dusting off her shoulders and walking away without a second glance.

I grit my teeth and reached down to help Bones up. Her eyes were glossy with unshed tears and her face had turned to stone. "You okay?"

"I'm fine."

"Are you sure? I can talk to her if—"

"I said I'm fine, Booth. The only way you can help me is by going to the forensics camp with me," she snapped, storming towards her Philosophy class.

I sighed, wiping my forehead.

Bones was my best friend. I would do anything for her—even this stupid forensics camp I wouldn't fit in at.

"Forensics camp," I muttered unhappily. 

***

I leaned against the lockers, waiting for Bones to get out of Philosophy. It was rather intimidating having a best friend that was ten times more intelligent than me. It was also one of her most endearing qualities. She could outsmart anyone I knew—including myself. She was highly ambitious—often telling me that she was one day going to be a forensic anthropologist.

The bell rang and a flood of students began pouring out into the hallway, almost taking me with them. I stared over the crowd, trying to find her. When I saw a dark bob making its way down the hall, I called out. "Bones!"

She glanced back at me with an angry expression and kept walking. I caught up to her and threw my arm around her shoulders. "Look, I'll do it. You happy?"

Her eyes sparkled—which didn't happen often—and she smiled. "You'll do it? Thanks, Booth!"

She threw her skinny arms around my neck. I laughed, putting my arms around her waist to pick her up and spin her around. I set her down and watched her face glow. My heart skipped a beat and I cleared my throat.

"So...discover the meaning of life?"

"Unfortunately, no, but we did talk about the existence of parallel universes."