Two: Brennan

"Zack," I explained. "For over a century, anthropologists have compiled their research on households, kinship relationships, and families, across cultures and through time. There is no provided support for the view that either civilization or viable social orders depend upon marriage as an exclusively heterosexual institution."

Zack Addy, the freshmen I was tutoring in Cultural Anthropology, made a quick nod, face as emotionless as a robot. "I understand your logic. Please continue."

The tutor center was a cozy little building, with inspirational and educational quotes painted along the halls and in every room. There was a quote by Nelson Mandela in the room we occupied, painted in huge black letters: "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."

I turned back to Zack. "Actually, anthropological research rather supports the conclusion that a vast array of family types, including families built on same-sex partnerships, can contribute to stable and humane societies."

I was about to continue, but Zack interrupted me before I could. "Did you find somebody for the Jeffersonian's forensics camp?"

I smiled, excited. "Yeah, I got Booth to agree to be my partner. I didn't think he was going to give in."

"Hodgins and I have been preparing for quite some time," Zack told me. "And although you are the most intelligent person in the school—apart from myself, of course—you are lacking a sufficient partner. You must realize that we're going to destroy you."

I smirked. "We'll see about that, Zack."

Zack stood up from his chair. "Thank you, Temperance, but it's nearly eight o'clock. Hodgins is probably here."

I nodded. "Very well. Don't forget to read up on the anthropological views on human sacrifice. That's what we'll discuss tomorrow."

Zack was nearly out the door, when I said, "Oh, and Zack?"

"Yes?"

"Please, just call me Brennan."

"Sure thing, Brennan."

He left, closing the door behind him. I watched him leave through the glass until I could no longer see him. I looked at the clock and sighed. The tutor center was my safe haven. I didn't want to go home—if that's what I had to call it. It was never going to be home—I had bet that within the next few months, they'd be sending me packing, giving the agency some excuse as to why they couldn't keep me. Foster parents wanted young children, not troubled teens.

I gathered my textbooks and notes, quickly shoving them into my book bag. I tossed the bag over my shoulder and went to wait outside for Booth.

Booth. Even from the beginning of our relationship, he'd been protective. He'd gotten in several fights over something as simple as calling me "Morticia."

I frowned, hugging myself tightly. It was unusually chilly outside and I pulled my jacket tighter, trying to keep warm. I glanced at my watch. It was already almost half past eight.

Where the hell was Booth?

I continued to wait for Booth, until suddenly the hairs on the back of my neck stood straight. I froze, standing as still as possible, knowing for a fact that somebody was watching me.

I had just turned to go back inside the tutor center, when a voice said from the shadow of the building, "You look a little scared, Morticia."