Chapter 25

It was obvious Alain had fleed the city. He didn't turn up in class the entire week, and when Case sent Fury around to his house to spy he wasn't there either. Miss Hopkins told the class there was nothing to worry, that he'd gone back to his old home to take care of his sick grandmother for a while.

Case raised his hand.

"Yes?" Miss Hopkins asked.

"When is he coming back?"

"Soon."

Case doubted it. Alain knew it was Case's fault that his father was dead, and judging by their past interaction, he must also know Case coukd control others when they got angry. Alain wasn't going to come back until he learnt to keep his rage in check.

"How did he find out?"

"Are you talking to me?" Fury asked from the desk to his side.

"Yes. How did Alain find out you weren't human? Did you tell him?"

"As if," said Fury in a bored voice. He looked like he wanted to go to sleep.

"I can't believe you. How else could he have gotten such an outlandish idea in his head?"

"How should I know?" Fury dropped his head onto his desk, closing his eyes.

Case poked at him with the end of his pen. How could he take this matter so casually? "Then prove it! Prove you didn't tell him!"

Fury let out a groan of annoyance. "I haven't got the slightest clue about how I could do that." He turned his head the other way, going back to rest mode.

"Then just get out there and find out how Alain found out!"

"I don't want to," Fury drawled sleepily.

"It's an order. Go do it."

Fury stood up abruptly and slammed his textbook hard against the top of his desk. "WHY THE FREAKING HELL WON'T YOU LET ME SLEEP FOR A FREAKING FEW MINUTES?!"

The entire class gawked. Mr Craig was so startled that he dropped his chalk.

"Nicholas Fury, what do you think you're—"

"IT'S ALWAYS DO THIS, DO THAT WITH YOU. GIVE ME A DAMN BREAK!" raved Fury.

Mr Craig's face flushed red. Case could feel the anger beginning to bubble up inside him from where he sat. "Mr Fury, watch your language—"

"JUST YOU WAIT! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET AWAY WITH ANY OF IT!"

"HEY YOU KID, ARE YOU THREATENING ME NOW?" roared Mr Craig.

A beastly growl escaped Fury. "I would have killed you already if I could."

The whole class was stunned into silence. Even Case was watching Fury open-mouthed. It wasn't like him to have one of his episodic outbursts when there were people other than Case around. Did he seriously lose his mind?

Mr Craig looked like he might explode with rage. He slammed his own text book onto his table just like Fury did a few minutes ago. "WHAT DID YOU SAY JUST NOW, BOY? WHAT DID YOU SAY?"

Fury was breathing hard. Mr Craig was trembling with rage.

"SAY IT AGAIN! I DARE YOU!"

Fury pushed back his chair so hard it overturned and fell on the floor with a thump. He headed for the door.

"WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING? STOP RIGHT THERE!"

Fury didn't give any indication that he heard him. Mr Craig had no choice but to restrain him physically.