The Contract

In the morning, Anna kept her word and went to speak with the ealdorman. As it turned out, she wasn't alone. Numerous other villagers had made their way to his door, all of them demanding a solution to their problems. The ealdorman had no choice but to listen. Even his wife joined the choir of angry voices. Soon, the contract was drawn up and posted on the village notice board for any passer-by to see.

"To whoever may be concerned, a monster or a curse plagues this village and we are in need of one with sufficient knowledge and skill to rid us of it. For details regarding the task and reward, seek out the ealdorman." Geralt read the notice as he passed by it and headed into the woods.

The days passed, and no one showed up to take up the contract. Then the days turned into weeks and soon into a month. Villagers began to flee, some temporarily, some permanently. The ealdorman shrugged his shoulders and claimed there was nothing more he could do. Until the day came when one child wandered into the forest foraging for mushrooms, only to be found days later by Geralt whilst on a hunt. It was a gory sight: the boy's body tangled among the brush, his eyes had been pecked out by birds and wolves had torn off pieces of flesh and eaten the organs. To get him out, they had to cut through thick roots that pierced his body. What was left of him was so gruesome-looking they couldn't even show the remains to his mother. They just wrapped him up in a sheet and buried him.

The time for idle waiting had passed. After the funeral, the entire village was in an uproar, demanding something be done. A small mob gathered outside the ealdorman's door, and soon the rest of the townspeople joined them, Geralt and his wife included.

"I've put up the contract. Someone will see it and help," the ealdorman said.

"No witcher 'as come by these parts in a decade and we could wait a decade more for one to show up."

"We could send someone out to seek a witcher."

"And where would one seek a witcher these days?"

"We could post the contract in other villages closer to the merchant's route. One might pass on their way to Novigrad."

"And who'd be crazy enough to cross the forest to get there? The monster's prowlin', I can hear 'im at night, I can."

"You have a better suggestion? Let's hear it."

The murmurs in the crowd continued, but no one spoke up.

"So that settles it. Any volunteers?"

Even the murmurs stopped, and heads turned from side to side, cowardly looking at their neighbors for salvation.

"I'll go," Geralt spoke and saw the horrified look on his wife's face. "I go into the forest every day. Not much difference if I go a little further out this time."

The ealdorman was exceedingly eager to have this burden lifted off his shoulders and passed on to someone else, so he quickly made his way to the fresh volunteer and handed him the parchment. He also offered to pay Geralt for his trouble, provide victuals and a weapon to defend himself. Geralt accepted the pay and victuals, but he preferred to use his own weapons. They agreed he would leave the next day after dawn.

That night, Anna did and said anything she could to sway him to stay, but he could not be moved from his decision. How could he, when there was no one better to make the journey? And if no one did, then others might die. And soon it would be winter, then surely no one would come till spring.

He packed a few days' worth of supplies for the road and prepared to leave at first light. Anna followed him out, teary-eyed and silent. He embraced her, and she melted into his chest, clinging to the fabric of his shirt, once again tears streaming down her cheeks.

"I'll return, don't fret. You needn't mourn me yet," he said as he caressed her hair, running his fingers through the soft strands.

He couldn't leave her weeping. If he was to die, this wasn't how he wanted their goodbye to look like. His thumb stroked her cheek, wiping away salty tears and comforting her. He gave her a few moments until the sobbing subsided and gently put his index under her chin and lifted it so he could look into her eyes. Maybe he should have said something more, but he couldn't find the proper words. Instead, he leaned in and kissed her dearly.

"In a few days, I'll return."

She nodded and released her hold on him.

With a last smile, he headed onto the dirt road that led into the forest and left the village behind.

He knew the forest well. To get to the other side, he had two options. A shorter and more dangerous route, which involved a two-day trek through the deep forest. Meaning he'd have to move away from the road and potentially stumble into the beast's lair. Or a longer, safer route if he stuck to the trodden path. But then it'd take him four days to cross, and that meant more nights spent in the midst of the beast's territory. So in the end, not that much safer. He weighed his chances and chose the first option. If he moved quick enough and quiet enough, he was sure he could make it unscathed.

For a while, he walked along the beaten path, moving quietly while listening for danger. There was nothing but the usual sounds of birds, the rustle of leaves in the fall wind, and the occasional squirrel or rabbit scurrying through the undergrowth. It was more of the same until he reached the bend in the road where he knew he had to walk on straight ahead instead of turning left along the path. He took a deep breath and trudged on.

As the hours passed and he ventured deeper, the air got cooler until he could see his breath in the chilly air. He pulled the hood of his cloak tighter around his head, readjusted the pack on his back, and walked on. Maybe he should have stopped to eat, but he wanted to get as far as he could while there was still daylight coming through the trees. There would be plenty of time to rest and eat in the evening.

When daylight began to fade, he searched for a suitable place to camp for the night. He settled for a small gap amidst the trees. After clearing the fallen leaves from the area, he gathered kindling and made a small fire to warm himself and the food. He ate a little of his supplies and laid out his bedroll, but couldn't bring himself to sleep just yet. Anna's worry had burrowed into his heart and his ears perked up at every odd sound.

Just as he was about to call it quits and force himself to sleep, he caught an unusual sound. Something he had no business hearing so deep into the forest. A horse whinny. It could mean that there were other humans around, so he got up to investigate. He followed the sound a little way from his small camp and soon he happened upon a bay mare, fully tacked but untethered. Either she was lost or her rider was nearby. He got closer and, even in the dimming light of the day, he could see streaks of blood running down the side of the saddle and the mare's coat. Meaning the rider was likely dead and there was no point in leaving a perfectly good horse to be eaten by wolves in the woods. The horse didn't shy away from him when he got closer, and after patting her nose and stroking the side of her neck, he grabbed the reins and led her back to his camp.

He had some apples in his pack and he treated the horse to one of them before taking off her tack and tying her to a nearby tree. The horse probably wouldn't have wandered off, even untied, but he didn't want to risk it.

Having another soul around, even if it was just a horse, proved comforting and soon sleep found him. The dreams he had, however, were as unsettling as ever. Unlike the other villagers, he didn't dream of crows, wolves, and roots; he dreamed of a spiral staircase, emerald eyes, a silver blade and blood. In his dream, he wasn't in danger; he was the danger. Waking up to see the first light of day making its way through the tree boughs was a relief. He was alive, the horse was still there, and he was halfway through his trek through the forest. Maybe even further now that he had a mount.