The Witcher

On the tenth day since his return, as he came from a hunt, bringing back a pheasant for dinner, he saw that once again there was a crowd of people gathered in front of the ealdorman's house. Sheer curiosity pushed him to join them.

As it turned out, a witcher had finally arrived to slay the beast that haunted their dreams and their forest. His horse was tied in front of the ealdorman's house and he was inside, discussing the terms of the contract. All had come to catch a glimpse of the monster slayer. There were so few witchers remaining that one might never have a chance to see one in a lifetime. Yet, he preferred to head home and leave the gawking to his more curious brethren. He had a family waiting for him to provide supper.

His Anna cooked a delicious stew and just as they were about to sit down to dinner, a knock interrupted them. The witcher that everyone was so curious to see was standing in his doorway, the ealdorman behind him. He looked like a normal man, if you ignored the ugly scar that streaked his face from the corner of his mouth to his temple and his yellow cat-like eyes.

"Pardon the interruption, but the witcher is in a hurry and wanted to talk to whoever found little Jarred's body."

"Of course. I'll tell you anything I can."

"Actually, I wanted you to lead me to where you found the boy's body." The witcher's low voice was softer than one would have guessed just by looking at him.

"If that's what you want, perhaps it would be better we go in the morning."

The witcher's eyes darted to the women behind him and he heard Anna gasp. The man itched at his scar, self-aware and awkward.

"I'd prefer to go now, if it's not too much trouble. This was an unforeseen detour, and I must make haste. I have a long ride to Kaer Morhen. If the snow begins to fall, I won't be able to cross the mountain pass."

Geralt nodded and picked up his short sword before walking out into the chilly evening air alongside the witcher.

"We should hurry. The days are growing shorter and soon it'll be dark."

He led the man into the forest, to the place where he discovered the body. Along the way, he recalled all the details from that grim day. It wasn't hard; the sight was something no one was likely to forget anytime soon. The witcher was mostly silent, nodding from time to time, letting him recount all he could remember.

Upon reaching their destination, the witcher crouched down and examined the ground. There wasn't anything there to Geralt's eyes. After so much time, the rain and forest animals had wiped out all traces of the horror committed. But the witcher seemed to disagree.

"As I suspected. It's a leshen. Your fellow men have been cutting trees in its forest and spurred its rage. I'll have to draw it out and kill it." He looked around, then at Geralt. "Ever seen anything that looks like a totem inside the forest?"

"No, nothing of the sort."

He hummed. "You can return to your wife and daughter. There's nothing else you can do here, unless you'd like to be bait for the monster."

Being bait didn't sound like anything Anna would approve of, so Geralt didn't need to be told twice; he turned on his heels and left the witcher to his task.

Over the course of the night, gruesome sounds could be heard coming from the forest. It didn't sound like a man or beast. It sounded like the trees creaked and moaned, like rocks shattering, like the flapping wings of many birds. Few could sleep in the village, and those who believed in the gods prayed to them for deliverance.

In the morning, deliverance indeed came, but not from the gods above. It came from a man with golden eyes and a silver sword. The witcher emerged from the trees, sword slung over his back, dragging behind him the horned head of the creature he slew. Had he not been in such a hurry, the village would have held a feast in his honour. But seeing as he was in a rush to be on the road again, he simply took his payment and rode off.

For a small village such as their own, this would be a tale to be told for generations to come. A tale of the fearsome witcher who slew the forest monster and brought them peace. For Geralt, this was simply a reminder that once he had a vivid dream of being a witcher himself.