Chapter 19

Two weeks, I spent two agonizing weeks on edge. My abnormal behavior raised Jill’s suspicion. She knew something was up but she never mentioned it. She became even more suspicious when Jake began to show up every day at the apartment and we locked ourselves inside of my room for hours.

 The predator glare she sent his ways every times he came over made it clear that she did not trust him at all. Neither did I. Well, not completely. I wasn’t about to make the same mistake twice so I was going to take my time before I blindly trusted another jerk. That was why my plans to runaway was such a disaster. If he was going to help me get back at Ken, he would have to run too but did I want him with me? Running with someone was safer than running alone but did someone I didn’t trust completely count?

Well, it had to because the “frabjous day” was here. Tonight I was going to raise hell in the McCall’s house, literally. 

“Do you have everything?” asked Jake sitting on my bedroom floor.

For someone who was about to ruin their life for a girl they barely knew he looked rather smug. Although he swore that he had never done anything like this before, I had my doubts.

“What is it?” He stopped my train of thoughts.

I looked at him confuse about his sudden question, “Your face is really expressive so I could tell you wanted to ask me something. What is it?”

I bit the inside of my mouth trying to hold it in. It would probably be best if I sidetracked this conversation but also when will we ever get to talk about again? On the road to nowhere?

“Why are you doing this?”

“I told you already, it’s just for fun.”

“Bullshit.” I stared at him, trying to pry into his thoughts but I would need superpowers for that. I settled for begging him with my eyes. “Fine, don’t tell me.” I huffed out when it was clear that a glare was all I was going to get from him.

“I don’t want to do it anymore.” I stated then begun to take everything out of my bag.

“Wait, what do you think you’re doing?” He hopped on his feet and stopped me from unpacking.

“I thought I could do this but I can’t.”

“Yes, you can.”

“No, I can’t. I want to hurt him but I don’t think I can do THAT. I’m not a felon, my body is physically hurting by the thought of me doing something so despicable.”

Jake grabbed my shoulders, “Look at me, Nikkie” he shouted.

I didn’t want to look at him, I couldn’t tell him the main reason why I didn’t want to do this anymore was because I didn’t trust him. I couldn’t go risk my life with someone I barely knew to watch my back.

“Nikkie, I said look at me” he was restraining his voice. I could hear the danger that threatened to surface which was why I was still reluctant about him coming with it. I’ve made my peace with my future but I my reasons were well known. What about him? What was his reasons? I knew he had a personal vendetta in this affair.

My questions were cut short when I felt something smooth pressed on my lips. My eyes opened widen and I briskly pushed him away from me.

“Haven’t you ever heard of asking for permission?”

“I would have if you were listening to me. Were you seriously daydreaming while we were in a conversation?” His eyebrows rose in my direction.

“N-nope, I was… I was…” Danm! I was out of excuses. I forgot how terrible I was at lying. He smirked at me.