Chapter 20

"coach...Scott?"

Andrews's POV

Andrews's POV

"Dad?" I said as I walked into the living room seeing him settling his things down. "When did you get here?" I asked still trying to fully wake myself up.

"I can't miss my son's training for the playoffs! Also, I know how much you missed your old man," he said while walking closer to pull me in for a... hug. Which surprised me when he wrapped his arms around me. I can't remember the last time my father was in a good mood, especially one that involve showing his love by an embrace. It was a quick one as he strolled into the kitchen. As I followed him a little suspicious of why he's acting this way. "So did you enjoy having the car for a while?" He asked.

"Yeah, it was good," I simply responded a little confused right now. "I didn't leave a scratch or anything if that's what you're wondering."

"No, no not that I was just thinking more about the conversation of you having a car," he spoke as I looked at him with a shocked expression. Who is this man? And where the hell is my father? "It was just a thought I had but we can finish this conversation later. On to the training portion, go get ready. Don't want to get outrun by your dad." he chuckled out as jogged up the stairs. What the hell is going on?"

═════ ◈ ═════

The whistle blew before coach gathered us together. "Alright, listen up. Next week, you boys are gonna be winnin' your first playoff game. I, however, am gonna be flat on my back in the hospital." Whitey announced, resulting in confused expressions among me and my teammates.

"What's goin' on, coach?" Lucas asked him.

"Oh, just a little eye surgery. I've got a paranoid doc who says I can't put it off any longer. And since it's important to me to actually see you guys win the state, I've gotta miss the first game." He answered looking at us.

"Who's gonna coach us?" Nathan and I say at the same time making us throw a glance before turning back to Whitey.

"Coach McCallum, most likely," he responded to us. "And if you use this as an excuse to slack off, I can promise you there'll be hell to pay." pointing at us before telling us to hit the showers.

I walked along with Nathan before getting joined by Lucas. "Is the guy any good? McCallum?" I asked Nate as Lucas looked at him for an answer too.

"No, JV sucks. This one is going to be up to us three." He replied as we continued our walk to the locker room. Great way to start the playoffs.

~

I walked over to the kitchen to fix myself some dinner guessing my dad ate without me. Only to be surprised to see my dad. Cooking? "Hey," he greeted me with a smile then turned back to stirring the pot. "Thought we could have dinner together like we used to do," he said making me stop at those words. Is he up to something? "Come on set up the table so we can eat."I got out of my headspace and cleared up the table and set up the plates before my dad place food on them. We both sat down and he started talking. "So how was your day?"