Chapter 30

It was a bad time. He stood in the hospital wing with Potter, and Weasley. Their wounds paled in comparison to hers. There were several tense moments, and whispered worries from behind the curtain. And then, to add to their fears, Dumbledore came into the hospital wing with something that none of the boys had ever seen in Hogwarts; a specialist from St. Mungo's.

Draco had felt sick, well, sicker than he already did at any rate. And Potter seemed to see this for he turned to the Slytherin.

"She'll be all right," he told Draco softly.

Weasley nodded in agreement and Draco felt strangely comforted. Not that he would ever admit it to anyone, but he decided then that there were worse wizards on the Earth and as much as he disliked then, Potter and Weasley weren't quite so bad. And he had to give Hermione credit, she might have a pair of idiots for friends, but few could have held their own against a couple of Death Eaters.

The tension in the room was becoming almost palpable by the time the Headmaster finally pulled back the curtain and slipped out. For a moment there was no twinkle in his blue eyes and Draco decided that he didn't want to hear it. He would rather stay forever in the Hospital wing outside of the curtain that separated the two of them rather than find out she was gone.

"She's going to be fine."

Dumbledore's voice stilled all of these thoughts in Draco's mind. He noticed then that Weasley was paler than he had ever seen him and that Potter's hands had been so tightly clenched together that his knuckles were white and a crimson tinge, that might have been blood had Draco gotten a closer look, marred his palms.

"It was rather close there as you can imagine," The Headmaster continued, "it wasn't Cruciatus, although the lingering effects of that curse can plague a body for days, but rather the damage done to her skull was, as Madame Pomfrey put it, most severe."

The curtain was pulled open again and the wizard from St. Mungo's walked out. He nodded at Professor Dumbledore, "Albus, if there's nothing else I must be on my way. I've left instructions with Madame Pomfrey, bandages won't be necessary as long as she continues with the Claustrium charm on every half hour for the next twelve hours."

"You have my deepest thanks Tyler, please give my regards to Betta and the girls." The Headmaster gripped the doctor's hands and smiled.

Madame Pomfrey pulled open Hermione's curtain again, leaving it agape, and the boys were able to see her for the first time since the Headmaster had taken the girl from them in Hogsmeade. She was terribly pale, her dark hair fringing a pallid face. There was no trace of the blood that had stained her skin earlier that evening. She was no longer wearing her school robes but a white hospital gown that made her seem even frailer. But Draco, in his relief, never thought she had looked better.

After the specialist left, the Headmaster turned back to the boys, "Poppy, I do believe that Misters Potter, Weasley, and Malfoy will be needing your attention as well."

"Of course Headmaster," She said as she went to Ron first, his obviously broken arm the most noticeable injury.

"And you Mr. Malfoy," Dumbledore took Draco's arm and led him to a bed near Hermione's, "you will be needing your rest I imagine."

Draco leaned against the bed, not wanting to sleep, but finding the softness against him overwhelming.

"Once we are all as we should be," the Headmaster said softly, "I believe that you and Ms. Granger have some very interesting news for me. There are many things that need to be explained, but there will be time enough for that later." Professor Dumbledore glanced down the hospital wing to where a closed door was at the far end.