Chapter 2

~Trouble, The Start~

Having to be in this house became insufferable: I was worried for my grandmother. Richard hasn't come back yet and CJ couldn't get a hold of their parents. It's like something bad's happening, but what? I can't think of a reason why the neighbors would up and leave like that.

And Mariana's been trying to get a hold of Richard. Ahold of her son.

But couldn't.

And the power keeps cutting in and out. "I'm getting a little tired. " The little girl name Cristina yawns, and I nod, pushing both our coloring books to the side. "Okay. Good night." I smiled.

Tiredly nodding, she walks away. And I sat there in silence, trying to not worry myself.

The thing is, I have anxiety and ADHD: meaning those two duos causes my anxiety to shoot through the roof. Like, when I get anxious about something and try to stop it, my ADHD won't allow me to—it's like a loop, playing over and over again. And when I finally feel better new things pop up.

And it makes it hard to mask.

"Kids. Time to eat," Mariana smiles, but I can tell she's anxious too, just like CJ and I. "Where's Cristina?"

"She went to sleep."

Stretching, my back pops. "Is Richard still not picking up his phone?" I asked.

"No. I even messaged him, but they're not delivering." Mariana leans her head against the wall, her pretty blue eyes glistening under the lights. I could tell she wants to ask me something. "Come on. Let's eat. I'll wake Christina up."

"Alright."

That being said I watch her turn the corner and frowned, now a little worried about Richard—I mean, he's not my favorite person in the world. But I care about his safety. I hate to even admit that. "Do we just grab anything on our plates?" I turn to CJ who points directly at the stemming pot. "I guess," I shrugged, smiling, going first to make them more comfortable.

I first grabbed a taco shell when the sound of someone yelling caught me off guard, making me drop the taco on the floor—CJ jumps as the taco shatters, and my eyes go wide.

Holding my breath in fear, Mariana comes rushing over towards the window. "Oh my gosh-" she gasps, clasping her hand over her mouth.

I rush over. "What's going on-"

"No-" Mariana panics, grabbing my arm, closing the blinds. "No. We stay here." Her breaths gets rapid and CJ frowns. The both of us jump again when we hear screaming. "We stay inside like Richard said, got that-" phone ringing we all jump, frightened.

Mariana rushes to the couch where her phone rings. She picks it up and sighs. I hear, "honey? Are you home."

"Yes. We're still in the house. Are you okay? Did you find Lorenzo."

"Yes. I found him-" Mariana sighs in relief, clutching her pearls. "Look honey. We're kind of stuck at the moment."

"What do you mean stuck? Where are you?" Her eyes widens, and for a second, we hear this loud crashing noise on the other side of the phone. "We have to go now. Those doors won't hold," another man says, and I paused, snatching the phone.

"Sorry," I apologized, putting the phone to my ears. "Richard. What is happening?" Shocked by this, I hear his breath stop.

"Protesters are going crazy, they're destroying everything in sight."

"They're burning my car!" I hear a deep voice boom.

Mariana takes the phone. "Please come back. Jeremy's acting weird. He attacked his wife-" pausing to catch their breath. "—and the power keeps cutting ou-"