Chapter 3

~We're safe, Military~

Another one burnt last night-
it's better than TV. People outside the fence - they took the last ones four days ago. People, just like us,
run like cattle, piled into trucks,
one suitcase apiece, headed east.
At least that's the rumor.

Bakersfield, Vegas...Who knows?

It's safe inside the fence. Outside, everything is dead. Everyone is gone. This is day nine. Nine days
since the lights went out and that fence went up...and our little green friends moved in.

I eyed the trucks of military men.

Richard says we're the lucky ones.

He would throw those dudes a parade if they would let him. And look, we are grateful to our saviors,
to the ones who protect us, to those who know......when it's feeding time at the zoo. There's nothing you'll ever take that nature won't take back. It all belongs to her again.

And the dogs and the dead, and the world. Nature took back her world and was mad at the humans for destroying it.

"Fuck-" erasing the last part of the sentence, I sighed. The sun beams down on my face. And I let it—I've been on top of the house for a good three hours now, trying to write, and keep busy.

Was I burning up? Yes.

But it's way worse inside the houses than it is out. Due to the power being out for nine days straight all of us had to endure extreme heat waves. Some people complain to the military guards, some people up and left, figuring being out there would be better than melting in their own homes.

And what's out there? We don't know.

But we're the lucky ones.

I frown. Didn't Ana need help with her car?

I should leave then.

With that I make my way down the roof. The roof had these boxes on the side, or crates, filled with old stuff from Patrick's house—he took a lot of stuff out of his house. We worry that he's suicidal, so we keep watch on him now and then-

What the fucks going on here? I hear distinct voices in the back. The kitchen to be exact.

"What? No, it's about you!"

"Me?" I hear Richard scoff, the closer I get near by.

"Yeah, you run off to play man of the people with your soldier friends..." Mariana huffs, very upset with him, from the obvious sass in their voice. I mean, good for her.

"This is not easy-"

"- Stop, stop! Holy fuck-" I hear a familiar deep voice snap. "Just stop it. This domestic bickering like it's normal, that you're normal people
in a normal kitchen...It's not normal. Stop it. Stop acting like it is." Lorenzo lifts his eyebrow at me when I walk in, me clapping at his small, irritated rant.

"No. Don't stop now. Things were getting interesting." The boy rolls his eyes. "What the hells going on here anyways? You're so loud." I quipped.

Marisa walks in at the same time I do, their blonde hair wet—probably from swimming. Everyone that has a pool, swim, due to the heat and everything. "Um-" tugging on the bottom of Lorenzos shirt I rolled my eyes, Marisa humming, "are you ready to go?" For the third time today.

Why doesn't she hang out with Ana anymore? In my opinion she's been hanging out with Lorenzo more and more, and ignoring Ana—Ana keeps assuring me that it doesn't hurt their feelings, when I've been known Marisa's been acting a little off. "Please." In response Lorenzo walks out the door with her and I sighed, leaning up against the counter.