CLARKE

As soon as Trish was outside of the perimeter, beyond the wall, beyond the gates, someone knocked on the door. I know this because we'd stolen some radios.

Sam had just barely came in, his voice static but still recognizable, "and she's gone. You think she'll think to sneak us some treats while she's out there?"

I'd barely had time to scoff to myself, pressing my own radio against my cheek as I thought about what Trish was doing. We needed a vehicle. Well, we didn't. But they had several and were willing to give us one to go on our way, with the supplies we'd need to last a while... for a few favors in return.

I had to remind myself that it made sense. Favor for favor.

This is as far as I'd gotten when there was a knock on the door. I wasn't able to respond to him, and even though I knew it would worry him, I clicked the radio off. My heart was racing as I moved to shove the radio inside of the already bulging from pocket of my sweatshirt.

I just hoped whoever was at the door hadn't heard anything. Actually, if they were completely clueless about the radios in general, that would be nice. My hand shook as I grabbed the door knob, and with a steadying inhale, I swung the door open a little too quickly to be greeting a guest.

"Adam if you don't stop pran-" I cut myself off, acting surprised as I drew back and blew out the rest of my thought, reassessing the person on the porch. "Sorry," I tilted my head and gave a sheepish smile, "some of my friends think that they're funny when they really aren't."

With those words I looked around the guy, who wore black pants and a red shirt. His hands were in his pockets and he had no hair. I searched the small yard as if waiting for someone to pop up, and he cleared his throat. I drew my attention back to him and gave him another short lived smile.

"Are you in the right place?"

He looked almost irritated now, "yes," his voice, as I suspected it might be, was impatient, "I've been  told to show you and your," he paused her as if searching for the right words, "friends to your semi permanent residence. We try to keep these houses dark to reserve energy and supplies. Since you'll be requiring extensive help from us to survive on your own," there were some clear feelings here too, "you'll need to be here longer. Your friend is gone with some of ours and their trips sometimes last weeks."

"Of course," I said quickly, "I was already thinking about this. We've started packing," I smiled again, this time while opening the door and spreading my hand a bit as if to display.

On the floor in the hallway were several clearly packed bags.

I turned back to him and his face was pinched in an uncomfortable way. My smile brightened. Something over his shoulder caught my eye, and I cursed. Mentally, of course.

"Adam! Where have you been hiding?"

He was already looking at us, and answered slowly "I got checked out, they say to come back tomorrow same time."

He had already told me this, but I thought he might be gone longer for it. I ignored the odd look that the man gave me in response to Adam's answer.

"Oh well you're just in time, this guy is about to show us our new semi permanent home."

At this, Adam smiled like a cat, "Oh, no need mister," he held up a shiny set of keys, "they gave me the keys on my way out of the medical area."

The man looked torn between relief over not having to deal with us, and irritation over what seemed like the same thing. He narrowed his eyes at Adam, who was nearly to us on the porch.