Chapter 4: Is A Person Born Gay?

Aspen POV

I set my alarm for earlier today. Seven o'clock. I wanted more time to get ready and didn't want to rush like I did yesterday. I took my time this morning, taking a nice shower, brushing my hair, and carefully picking my outfit. A simple but kind of classy yellow dress. I knew I had a pair of yellow flats to go with it under my bed somewhere. I just had to dig for them. I eventually found them and slipped the, on as I headed to my dresser for some jewelry. I looked through the top drawer until I saw one of my sunflower earrings. I looked for rest of the set, which considered of earrings, a necklace, ring, and bracelet. I managed to find everything besides the ring. I really should organize my dresser better.

When I checked the time it read seven fortyfive. Since I had more time I decided to go over the short skits that the drama club had provided for auditions. They were simple skits, perfect for people who had some basic skills. There was one in particular that I liked. Skit three. It had a sad romantic yet lingering feeling to it. The kiss was my favorite part. The way it was described was short and simple. A kiss of forever goodbye. The only part I didn't like was how long they stared at each other after the kiss. It felt a bit... personal. Too personal for goodbye. Or maybe goodbyes were supposed to be personal, not so quick and sudden. I had no clue.

By the time I was finished memorizing most of them it was eight o'clock. I sent a quick text to Talia asking if she wanted me to pick her up again before grabbing my bags from the foot of my bed. I didn't know on Amari's door when I passed, instead quickly tapping down the steps. I once again grabbed an orange from the fruit bowl. This time though I peeled and ate it as I waited for Talia to text me back at the kitchen island. She didn't.

I sighed as I cleaned the remains of the orange up. As I threw away the seeds it reminded me of the seed that hit Rowan in the eye yesterday. I then remembered that I promised to buy her a new lollipop today. I made a mental note to stop by the store for a sucker on my way to school. I checked to see if Talia had replied again while reaching for my keys. She still didn't. With that I exited the house, closing the door as quickly as possible while running from the cold to my car.

-..................-

Lucky for me, there was a store near the school. I had barley been there because mom and dad had said that the store was for poor people. At that time I had just been adopted. The place I used to live before was considered poor, my caretakers would tell me all the time. This is why I had the mindset that I was a poor person. I guess I still am a poor person, as I'm not rich, but my parents are. But now, entering the store, I understand what mom meant. This store was a cheap one. It also wasn't as clean or neat as the store mom usually went to for groceries. I didn't mind the state of the store. As long as it had what I needed I considered it fine.

I quickly found the candy aisle. I stood in it with my feet taping wondering what type of sucker I should get. There were individual suckers, suckers in small packs, and suckers in big bags. I didn't know which one to get. I had never eaten candy before, so I didn't know what was good. I also didn't know if she had any special requirements for suckers. Were there even special requirements for suckers? Did the flavors really matter? What if it was just different colors meant to trick you like that one candy I heard about?

"She should have told me what flavor," I complained to myself. Then it hit me that I was stressing over a sucker flavor. This isn't really that serious. I smacked myself on the forehead. The sound was louder than I thought and echoed down the aisle. I looked up to find some older people looking at me weird. I quickly grabbed a small pack of suckers before rushing to the counter to pay. I put my face in my hands once back in the safety of my car. Ahh, that was embarrassing.