Chapter Ten

Anika stared at the textbook in front of her which she was supposed to be reading. She could feel the eyes of everyone in the class on her, but tried her very best to ignore them all and focus on the words. But unfortunately, the words seemed to zoom around the page, refusing to cooperate with her intent.

Professor McGonagall, who was sat at the front of the class, was not unobservant enough to notice her classes' complete disinterest in learning the Transfiguration Alphabet and her annoyance at this fact was made clear through her trigger happy awarding of detentions (earned by both Mary and Sirius Black, for breaking into an argument midway through class) and by the shed load of homework that was given to the first years when the class came to a close. 

This was the first lesson that Anika had been in since her accident, and it seemed that the news of her strange blood had spread very quickly through the castle. Everywhere she went that day people stared at her and muttered to their friends. 

"I heard she's got cursed when she was a kid, that's why she looks like that," muttered one girl to her friend as Anika passed.

"Do you think her blood is really golden?" The friend replied.

Anika was used to having people stare at her, but the murmurs were new and they upset her somewhat. It was as though she suddenly had a neon sign floating above her clearing saying 'I'M DIFFERENT! STARE AT ME!'.

The day continued like this, everywhere she went she felt eyes on her, so much so that very early that night she retreated to her bed, drawing the curtains tightly shut around it so that no one could see her. It was as though in less than a day she had gone from being human to being alien. Which in some ways she had. 

*

Dear Anika,

I have received correspondence from your headmaster informing me of an incident that occurred three days ago involving flying class.

Albus Dumbledore has said that as a result of this your true parentage has been discovered. I would like to inform you that should these parents attempt to reclaim you I will be taking legal action against them. Mr Borgin and I have invested lots of time and money into you and we, therefore, consider you ours.

I also find myself shocked that I was forced to discover all of this in a letter from Albus Dumbledore rather than a letter from you. As per our agreement when we decided to send you to Hogwarts you were to ensure that you updated us on your studies regularly and we have now not heard from you in over a week. 

This is unacceptable and should this behaviour continue we will be forced to withdraw you from school and have Mrs Godfrey educate you from home. 

Respond to this letter explaining in detail what has happened over the last few days so that Mr Borgin and myself are able to make an educated decision about what we should do. 

Caractacus Burke

*

Anika had been putting off writing a letter to Mr Borgin and Mr Burke, but the tone of Mr Burke's letter had her on edge, so she quickly wrote a response explaining everything that had happened in as much detail that she could. 

She did not want to be pulled out of Hogwarts, she had fought very hard to be allowed to attend the school at all and was not about to let one flying accident end her time at the school. Therefore she played down the events in her letter to her guardians, making it seem as though Nicolas and Perenelle Flamel had no intentions of fighting for custody- when in reality she had no idea if they had this intention or not. 

She watched Stanley the owl flying away with her letter tried to his leg and let out a big sigh. Resigned to the fact that another day of stares and murmurs was about to commence. 

*

News travelled fast at Hogwarts, but it got old quickly too. By the end of the next week, James Potter and Sirius Black had lost Gryffindor house 200 points for spraypainting 'Slytherin Sux' all of the Slytherin banners in the Great Hall, and all gossip turned to them instead of Anika.

This came as a relief, but what was even more of a relief was that Mary did not once treat Anika any differently after the accident. It seemed that Mary either did not care or did not realise the importance of the golden blood that ran in Anika's veins. 

Lisa and Donna, however, continued to gasp at Anika any opportunity that they got, so Anika made a point to avoid them as much as she could. Lily was in the same boat as Mary and Marlene just thought that it was all distracting from the wonderful flying that she had accomplished in that lesson before the accident. 

Mary announced her intent to stay at Hogwarts over the Christmas break to Lily, Marlene and Anika one morning over breakfast.

"I want to experience my first wizarding Christmas!" Mary declared as she reached for some toast and butter. "Mum and Dad are okay with it. Who's staying behind with me?"

"Sure," Marlene said, "sounds like fun."

"I'm going home." Lily swallowed some cereal before continuing, "I promised my sister."

"Anika?" asked Mary.

"I'll ask Mr Burke if I'm allowed," said Anika. She wondered what the man's response would be. She didn't think that he'd mind all that much, as Christmas was never a big thing at the shop. However, she wondered if he would say no simply to stop her growing further away from them. 

Indeed, Caractacus Burke was keen to keep a tight hold on Anika, who he considered to be the prize of his collection of magical objects. Just how tight a grip he wanted would become clear in the coming months.