Chapter Fifteen

During the first week back at school Anika did doing her very best to ignore the prophet headlines about the ongoing custody trial. It seemed that it had developed into an argument about what rights Anika should receive as a near-human. It earned her many stares and mutters, but Mary and Marlene were very happy to trip anyone who stared too long, so people learnt very quickly to keep their opinions to themselves when Mary or Marlene was around.

Two weeks into term found Marlene, Mary and Anika sat halfway down the Gryffindor table discussing the Quidditch trials which were to take place that day.

"I'm definitely going to make Beater," Marlene boasted, "I can smell it!"

"You can smell it?" Mary demanded.

"My mum always says you can smell a win before it happens," Marlene said.

"You can't smell wins," Anika protested, "you can only smell stuff that has smells!"

"You're being closedminded again Anika." Mary leaned across the table and flicked Anika's nose. Mary had taken to reminding Anika whenever she was being 'closed-minded', which according to Mary and Marlene, happened a lot.

"Did you just flick me?" Anika asked, slightly taken aback.

"Yes, I did." Mary said, "and I'll do it again," she flicked Anika again.

Anika reached back across the table, flicking Mary on the forehead in retaliation.

"Right, before you two kill each other, let's head down to the pitch," said Marlene, picking up her broom and scrambling to her feet, "I don't want to be late." She began to walk towards the doors. Mary climbed across the table and she and Anika scrambled to follow after Marlene, who was walking especially fast.

"When we're late for charms she drags her feet, but when it's quidditch she's practically jogging!" Anika complained to Mary as they hurried to catch up with Marlene, who was already in the Entrance Hall.

"Well, no one apart from you likes lessons, so maybe its because she actually wants to go to quidditch," Mary replied, just as they fell into step beside Marlene, who was just about to climb down the steps out into the grounds.

"Miss Smith!" Anika turned to see Professor Dumbledore stood atop the marble staircase. Mary and Marlene also stopped to look at the old man. "Would you care to join me in my office for a chat?"

Anika turned back to Mary and Marlene, who were a few steps below her, "I'll see you later," Anika told her friends before she turned and retreated back into the castle and up the marble stairs, falling into step beside Dumbledore.

"I wonder how your lessons are going Anika," Dumbledore asked as they walked.

"Okay," Anika responded, "I'm best at Transfiguration."

"It's a very useful subject," Dumbledore said, "I used to teach it you know."

"I know," Anika replied.

They continued to walk through the castle in comfortable silence, each of them observing the windows and paintings that they passed. The walk to Dumbledore's office from the Entrance Hall was rather long, but neither of them spoke as they continually passed students and staff members in the corridors and it seemed that Dumbledore wanted privacy.

Dumbledore only spoke when they arrived at the gargoyle that guarded his office.

"Custard Creams," said Dumbledore. The Gargoyle nodded at the Headmaster, before leaping aside to reveal the moving staircase which took them to the office, where they seated themselves either side of Dumbledore's desk.

Anika was very curious to know why the headmaster wanted to speak to her, but he seemed to take his time, rummaging in one of his draws and drawing two letters addressed to him.

"Anika, are you aware that whilst the custody trial continues, as of yesterday I have been elected as your temporary legal guardian," Dumbledore told her, handing her one of the letters, which confirmed this statement, signed off by the Minister for Magic.

"I didn't know that," Anika replied, "I've been avoiding the headlines."

"Very wise of you," Dumbledore agreed, "the Daily Prophet has been known to publish falsehoods. However, in my position as your guardian, I received this letter," he waved the other letter which he held, "requesting that you and I attend a hearing at the ministry relating to your rights. Of course, as you are under my care I can attend on your behalf and I leave it up to you to decide if you would like to come."

"I want to come." Anika stated immediately, "It's a hearing about my rights. I want to be there."

"I assumed you would." Dumbledore nodded, "I should make you aware that the Flamels, Mr Borgin and Mr Burke will be in attendance. The trial will serve the purpose of resolving both cases."

"Am I going to have to say who I want to have custody of me?"

"Do you want to?"

"I don't know," said Anika. "Mr Burke kept asking me this summer, but I don't know what I want."

"You don't have to say anything on the subject then," Dumbledore assured her, "however, I suggest that you think about what you want Anika, as your opinion matters in this more than anyone else's."

Anika nodded.

"I will write back to the ministry informing them that both of us intend to be present at the trial." Dumbledore reached for his quill, inkwell and a piece of parchment in order to begin writing this letter.

"When is the trial, Professor?" Anika asked.

The Professor gave a small laugh, "it seems I have neglected to inform you of one of the most important things. Forgive me, Anika, my memory is not what it used to be. It will take place on the 25th January."

"Why is it so far away?" Anika asked.

"It seems that the ministry has a rather packed schedule of trials at the present time," said Dumbledore. "I will notify you if there are any changes in the schedule. You can return to your friends now Anika."

Anika hesitated a moment, before getting up from her seat and making her way towards the door. She took a deep breath and turned back to Dumbledore.

"Professor, why is Mr Burke fighting so hard for me? I always thought I was a burden to them."

Dumbledore sighed, "I am not one to judge the character of people whom I do not know well, but Mr Burke has always seemed to me to be a rather greedy man. You are perhaps one of the most valuable magical artefacts in his possession and he has always been one to fight for the purposes of greed."