50) Enemy Camp

When we arrive in Stuart, the new enemy camp, it is not hard to see why the One Nation Army is winning. Sheer numbers and equipment alone are enough of a reason. The soldiers seem to be sprawled all over the town. They are so ingrained that it is hard to tell where the real town is anymore. Everything looks like a military camp with One Nation flags draped over even the most insignificant fruit stand. There are no townspeople milling about. Either they are too scared to come out, have already been executed, or worse, they've already joined up.

My mama must have been keeping a close eye on Gus Lancaster because no sooner than we pull up, she is at my door opening it and escorting me out. She is hovering about like she don't trust Gus either. She reminds me of an Australian Shepherd dog we had once. My mama herds me like she is either protecting me or waiting to nip my heels if I go the wrong way.

We head towards a building that is obviously headquarters because it is the former townhall and it literally says Headquarters of The One Nation Army outside on a banner that is not handmade. Where on earth did they get this made? Did the professor have it made before the end of the world? I would not doubt it. Professor Nation has been planning the apocalypse for an eternity, or at least since my parents were in college.

I pause long enough to stare at the sign and read the manifesto at the door. I have so many questions. The manifesto reads like an archaic document from Nazi Germany. It begins simply enough, but changes into some madman's creed:

One Nation Under God , indivisible, with liberty and justice for the Chosen.

What does that mean - the Chosen? Chosen by who?

As I am reading, Professor Nation (called General by everyone but me) steps out to greet us. He kisses my mother's cheek and welcomes her back. I told my mom I thought he had a crush on her, and I guess I was right. He acts like he is welcoming his queen home.

He is just as I remember him. I would like to say that the professor is a large, intimidating mass of a man who instills fear by his mere presence, but he is not. He looks like a professor - the slightly sexy, academic type, not the anemic, not eating his vegetables type or a bearded, pudgy man still believing the young girls find him desirable. He is not conventionally attractive, at least to me, but I can see his appeal. He is quite charming even when you know he is responsible for a lot of dead people.

Professor Nation welcomes me to his "new headquarters" with a sweeping motion of his arms and says that he is so happy to see me again with my mother.

I point to the sign, "The chosen? What does that mean?"

Professor Nation answers. "The chosen is of course, God's chosen people. The pure, the clean, the worthy."

"So, white people?" I ask.

My mom puts her hand on my shoulder as if to warn me or correct my manners.

Professor Nation is not offended or put out by my bad manners. "Some would say that, but we are not racist. We are more interested in strong, viable, clean bloodlines, than ethnicity. Mixing of races weakens the human race. We need strength and intelligence to survive."

I look around and see his power everywhere and understand that my mother is warning me with her gaze, so I try to disarm my opponent with some charm of my own:

"Well, it is evident that all this is the work of an intelligent, thoughtful person. How long have you been planning all this?"

"I've been planning this a long time. All my life really. The human race is in a precarious place, Eliot."

"And you are going to save us all?" I ask.

"Well, I will do my part as best as I can, but it takes us all, working together."

"So what is the plan then, really, the real plan? World domination? You in complete control? Death to the weak and unworthy?"

Honestly, I can't help myself. This man is despicable and more so because I don't believe he knows that about himself. He thinks he has some great cause that is going to help mankind. All while tossing babies off of bridges.

Before my mom can warn me again, the professor says to my mom, "You're right, Jane, she is most definitely a teenager. Volatile and confrontational and questioning of authority. All things needed for a revolution. Teenagers are so charming in their own way."

The professor smiles at me, and while I want it to be a sneaky, creepy smile, it is not. It is not condescending either. It is more benevolent, tolerant, patient and understanding. He conveys all those things with a mere smile. What can he do with words?

Then he turns to me and says, "Eliot, I have a room for you set up inside. Your own room with a bathroom next door and a place you can draw a bath. We have warm water if you would like to wash up. There's a bed and a TV with some DVD's if you'd like to watch a movie. All the conveniences of before, except there's no one to call on the cell phone or peruse on the Tik Tok."

He laughs at his own joke. He continues to make himself the host with the most. "Please make yourself at home. My home is your home."

"That sounds wonderful, Kerry," says my mother. "I'll show her up. We'll clean up and rest and then join you for dinner."

The professor smiles at my mother and says, "That will be delightful, my dear." He kisses my mother's cheek again.

I have no patience for his fake bullshit show of hospitality. I cut to the chase. "Where's the prince? Where's Prince Torin?"

It is only then that Gus steps up to join our conversation. He is held back by the general's guards who search him and take his weapons before he is allowed to come any closer. He looks a little humbled by the lack of trust, but he quickly shakes it off.

"My dear boy," says the general. "It is good to see you again. Can you finish your questioning of the prisoner, I mean our guest, the prince, and clean him up so that he might join us for dinner? You are invited as well, 6 sharp. Eliot would like to see her friend, the prince. We must make sure that he is presentable for dinner. Right, Eliot?"

I nod. I am going to see Torin, and it sounds like he is all right, though I am suspicious that the general called him a prisoner and that Gus has been interrogating him. The last person Gus questioned ended up beaten to death.

But, if Torin is to join us for dinner, he must be ok, right? They need him so they won't hurt him. Right?

Before my mother leaves me alone in a room with a view of the once-a-town below and a bathtub full of hot water, she warns me. She makes sure we're alone, and then she says these words:

"There's a plan, I promise, Eliot."

She checks to make sure no one is listening and whispers to me, "A plan to save the prince."

We hear someone coming down the hall. She squeezes my hand and looks me in the eye, and I know that somehow my mama is not the bad guy. She is good.

My mama whispers one last thing before she goes, "Trust me."