One

A short while ago I received a message saying I should apply to be in a zine. At the time I didn't know what a zine was or how amazing the people who are featured in them were. So I submitted pieces of my best work and hoped for the best. Long story short, I got selected, had some imposter syndrome, smashed out a piece that was way too long, chopped the heck out of it and hit the submit button.

I made some badass friends along the way who I wouldn't have known otherwise and absolutely loved the whole experience.

Today we're allowed to share our pieces so this is the original piece in all its unchopped glory! It's not a large fic, only 4-5 chapters but I love it.

The cover is a sneak peek of the art accompaniment to my fic by the incredibly talented Roz. Find their work on twitter @ Mphtaroz

And if you absolutely need to purchase a digital copy of the zine and I mean yeah, you do, go here krbkproherozine.bigcartel.com

-

Bakugou's foot tapped an impatient rhythm against the carpet of the briefing room as he waited for the last seats to be filled. His eyes shot to the door and dropped back to the table just as quickly when another pro entered.

Red Riot would be walking through that door any second now.

It wasn't that Bakugou was nervous. He wasn't. He talked to the idiot every day so it wasn't like this would be any different. So what if it had been almost two years since he'd actually seen him in person?

He was the reason Kirishima was in the city in the first place. The job Bakugou was currently working had turned into a bigger deal than anyone had anticipated so the agency he worked at needed to call in reinforcements.

Once the announcement went out for recommendations for other pros to call in, he'd asked for the Sturdy Hero. No hesitation, no second guessing. He wanted Kirishima. He didn't care to examine his reasoning too closely, already knowing what he would find if he did. He drummed his fingers against the desk again, anticipation gnawing at him.

When Kirishima finally stepped through the briefing room door, everything just, sort of, stopped for a second. Yeah, Bakugou had kept in touch with him but seeing him in person was a whole different story. He was so wholly unprepared for the man his best friend had become.

Bakugou wondered, not for the first time, how he wasn't ranked higher on those stupid Hottest Heroes charts. He cut the imposing figure you would expect of someone with his quirk; all hard lines and chiseled edges.

Bakugou's eyes dipped down his front and he caught himself wondering if his abs were as hard as they looked. His mask framed cheeks that were a little less full than the last time he'd seen him but his shitty hair was styled in his trademark obnoxious spikes. His fingers ached with the urge to touch so he curled them into fists and shoved them in his pockets.

He also noted that he still hadn't lost the ass cape. A shame really.

Kirishima was imposing alright. Until he smiled. When that sunshine smile lit up his face, Bakugou felt the warmth of it down to his bones. It had been too long since it had been aimed at him.

He watched as Kirishima's eyes scanned the room and when they finally came to rest on him, he was surprised by what he saw. There was a confidence behind that gaze now, one that should have been there years ago in Bakugou's opinion, but had been earned over countless missions.

Kirishima took his spot against the wall across the room and crossed his arms, flashing Bakugou his toothy grin as he did. Bakugou suppressed his answering smile and tore his eyes away from him to concentrate on the briefing.

With the meeting finished, everyone quickly cleared out and a stab of disappointment hit him when he realised Kirishima had left. An annoyed grumble followed him as he headed out the door only to find Kirishima leaning against the wall of the corridor waiting for him.

If he thought he'd panicked when he first saw him, then that was nothing compared to being face to face with him. The urge to run his hands down tanned skin was so much worse. Before Bakugou could get his tongue untied, Kirishima wrapped him in a crushing embrace, almost lifting his feet off the floor.

Bakugou briefly wondered if this wouldn't be such a bad way to die, smothered in Kirishima's tits. He scowled at the thought as he was set back on the ground.

"Aww what's that face for?" Kirishima asked in a voice that was unfairly deep as he brushed a finger over Bakugou's frown lines. "I thought you'd be happy to see me."

Bakugou swatted the hand away. "You wish."

Kirishima took it in stride, stepping back with a grin. He didn't go far, Bakugou noticed. "No explosion," he mused, "maybe you are happy to see me."

"Don't push your luck, asshole."

Kirishima laughed again as he stepped back properly and Bakugou let the rich sound wash over him. "It's good to see you, Kats." There was something unreadable in his expression but it was quickly replaced by his usual bright grin. "Man, I've missed you."

"Yeah, yeah whatever," Bakugou grunted as he stepped around him, furiously fighting the blush from his face.

"You can say it back, you know," Kirishima said as he bumped his shoulder with his own.

"I said whatever." Bakugou swore he could feel Kirishima's grin as they walked out of the agency.

They didn't get far since the press had swarmed in, hoping for a sniff of information about why so many heroes were called in on the one job. Bakugou bristled, he fucking hated the press.

"Red Riot, Dynamite," a journalist called as a recorder was shoved in front of them, "what's it like working together again?"

Kirishima, ever the charmer, gave her a wide grin and dropped an arm around Bakugou's shoulders. "We've always been better together."

Fucking what?! Bakugou was glad this reporter didn't have a camera because he didn't need the side eye he gave Kirishima caught on tape. That was suggestive as fuck. Bakugou scowled at the reporter as he resisted the urge to throw Kirishima's arm off and let him handle the rest of the questions.

"Oi," Bakugou called once they were finally out of earshot. He grabbed Kirishima's elbow and spun the red head around, "what was that shit you pulled back there?"

"What?" Kirishima asked, way too fucking innocently. "I thought you liked it when I took charge."

Bakugou's jaw clenched. Did he even know how that sounded? "That better together crap."

"It's true." Kirishima shrugged and when Bakugou's scowl didn't lessen, he grinned. "Come on, man, can you honestly tell me that you work better with anyone else?"

Bakugou huffed. Kirishima was right and he obviously knew it, but Bakugou was as petty as Kirishima was smug so he wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

Bakugou's silence seemed to be answer enough because Kirishima chuckled, the cocky bastard. "That's what I thought." Then the familiar grin was back when he said, "See you on patrol tomorrow, yeah?"

Kirishima went to walk away and something about the red head turning away from him twisted Bakugou's gut. It was too similar to another time he'd turned away from him. When Bakugou should have said more but had left it at goodbye. "Wait, Kirishima."

Kirishima stopped and half turned, looking back over his shoulder at him. The words died on Bakugou's lips at the hopeful look on his face. "Yeah, man?"

"Get some food with me," that didn't sound too much like don't leave me again, "I know a place."

Kirishima turned all the way around and his smile was blinding. "You know the way to my heart, Kats."

The tips of Bakugou's ears were absolutely not turning red.