Bakugo x GN!Reader - Eavesdropping

1st person POV

"They're so weak, just another extra." A voice which I recognised rang throughout the common area. I overheard the conversation from the kitchen, curious about who could possibly be the person they're talking about.

Bakugo was the one doing most of the talking. I could tell by how loud he was. Peeking my head into the room, I saw him with Todoroki, Kirishima, Sero, and Kaminari all sitting on a couch.

"Are you sure Bakugo?" Kirishima started, "Remember when they almost won the sports festival?"
"And their quirk.. it's incredible!" Kaminari chimed in.
My curiosity evolved to wanting to know who they were talking about, to wanting to join their conversation.

Bakugo scoffed, "(L/N) is nothing but a damn extra, they'll never become a hero the way they're training now. I bet they won't even pass the licensing exam!"

A clatter on the floor had rang out through the room. My spoon had fallen from my grasp as Bakugo uttered those words.
I was the subject.

First Todoroki's head turned to me with his heterochromatic eyes wider than normal, catching the attention of the others who's gaze had followed his line of vision to me.

When Bakugo's smug face had met my rather conflicted expression, his pale skin had become even paler.
He started to open his mouth, raising his hands on defence.
"You can't take back what you said, Bakugo." I spat out, attempting to keep my composure as I exited the common area.
Whispers among our classmates could be heard as I ascended up the stairs.
I just wanted to sleep.

By the time I had fallen asleep, it felt as if I had been woken up immediately after by a pounding noise on my door.
I wished I weren't such a light sleeper.
"It's-" I glanced at my clock, "-eleven at night!" I called out, hoping whoever was there would leave. But the knocking came again, increasing its dynamics.

Fighting the urge to stay in bed, I figured I should answer.
Opening the door, I prepared to yell at whoever had disturbed my sleep, but I was met with a rather frustrated looking Bakugo.
My mouth opened to speak, but I was interrupted.

"Look, I can't sleep, okay?" He had his hands shoved in the pockets of his track pants, "I'm.. sorry for what I said earlier."
Part of me wanted to slam the door on his feet and pray he would never bother me again, but the other wanted to take the satisfaction of one of his rare apologies.
I should be the bigger person here as well, I'm on the path to becoming a hero after all.

"I'm sorry too," I tried not to avert my gaze, "I shouldn't have lashed out at you like that after-"
"No. Stop." Bakugo reached his hand out towards me, but then quickly retracted it, "I.. It's my fault. I shouldn't have said that to you, it was really stupid of me.. and it's not even true, dammit!"

I grew surprised to see he admitted he was in the wrong so easily.
"You're the strongest person in the class.. Even stronger than IcyHot.. and me. You almost beat me in the sport festival, and you're really smart.."
Bakugo never complimented anyone in such a way. My shock was contained, but I never realised he felt this way.

Bakugo had continued, interrupting my thoughts, "I guess you could say I'm.. a bit jealous of you."
I gasped, quickly covering my mouth. Bakugo grew flustered, he stuttered out a bunch of incoherent words that I didn't understand.

After almost a year of knowing him, I never knew he felt that specific emotion with a god complex like his own.

"Back to what I was trying to say," He started.
"Shh!" I attempted to quiet the boy down, "Our classmates are asleep."
Probably not anymore.

Bakugo sighed, "Dammit.. I think you're.. really cool. Can we get lunch sometime?"
Was Bakugo asking me on a date?
No way.

My heart rate had accelerated faster than I had ever felt before. Even though Bakugo had really offended me earlier, woken me up in the middle of the night, and was just all around someone I was afraid of, I felt rather flattered.

My mind wandered to see a different side of Bakugo, a side that he had just shown me.
If he really did admire me this much to have been awake at such an hour on a school night, I'd say he was worth it.
"That sounds great," I started, " but you should probably go back to bed now."

I myself felt drained of energy from today's training that Aizawa had made us do, although the adrenaline rush I currently had made me think otherwise.

"Right," He turned to leave.
I kept watch as he made his way down the hallway, forgetting to go to bed myself.

Bakugo must have noticed my gaze fixated on to him, "Oh, (L/N).. Goodnight."
The surrounding hallway was too dim for me to tell, but based on his tone it sounded like Bakugo was smiling at me.

Perhaps overhearing that conversation was a good thing, "Goodnight Bakugo."