Chapter Nine

As soon as Charlotte entered her brother's apartment, she saw a thrilled Amelia jumping in excitement. "Guess what? We are engaged."

"Oh my God!" Her mouth fell open as she glanced at Amelia's left hand and saw her grandma's ring. She rushed to give her new sister-in-law a big hug, unable to contain her joy. "I am so happy for you. When did this happen?"

"A few days ago, he presented me with the ring." Amelia teared up. "It's very beautiful. He caught me off guard, you know."

"When is the wedding?" Charlotte asked. Her brother was going to get married. It was crazy. True, Amelia had proposed already, but this was official.

"What's wrong, guys?" James appeared, scratching his head. It looked as if he had been napping. "I fell asleep on the couch and woke up by your screaming."

"James, you are getting married. Congratulations." She vaulted herself at him.

"Thank you." A broad grin split across his face. "We haven't decided on a date. Hey, if we elope, you are still invited."

"Oh, mom will have a hissy fit." Lola smacked his arm as they made their way in and sat down. 

Their mother would not let an opportunity like this slip through her fingers. Charlotte was willing to bet her prized camera equipment that Anna wouldn't mind giving Amelia a tip or two about planning a society wedding. It would spice things like cinnamon in a latte. Well, lots of cinnamon in her mother's case.

"All the more reason to elope," James joked.

"Jamie, stop pulling her leg. We are not eloping," Amelia said before turning to her. "Lola, where have you been? I have been trying to reach you for a couple of days. Were you away? You are quite tanned."

"Gigi and I went to Florida for a girl's trip," she lied, feeling James' eyes on her.

They stared at her.

"What?" Their reaction notched up her nerves. Did they already suspect something? How could they? As far as Aiden was concerned, he was out of their lives.

"Nothing. You haven't been anywhere lately?" James cleared his throat. "I am glad you went somewhere and had fun. I mean, there is something different about you."

"How so?" She was puzzled. She had looked the same in her mirror's reflection unless she had grown antlers or something on the way here.

"I don't know. You look happy." James cocked his head, narrowing his gaze. "It's like you are you again."

An image of Aiden climaxing flitted through her mind. Heat flooded her face. She knew what had made her whole again. It was too bad she couldn't share it with her family. Charlotte was no fool in thinking James would patch things up with Aiden for her sake. Plus, there was no relationship. It was merely a convenience for her and Aiden, nothing more. They would probably go their separate ways when the bucket list was over.

"You are turning red." Amelia frowned. "Do you feel okay?"

Oh shit. "I am feeling warm." She waved her hand over her face. "It's the heatwave we are going through."

"Let me crank up the air conditioning." James volunteered. The skeptical look on his face dissipated.

Whew. That was close. They had always been close, and it was a lapse in judgement on her part not to realize it. At times, he could see right through her. Casting for a different topic, she noticed a stack of papers on the coffee table. "What's this?"

"A few chapters of my book," Amelia answered with a sigh. "I know the ending I want, but I am struggling to get there."

Her ears perked up at the news. She sat up straighter. "Tell me more. Does Ethan repudiate her to save his kingdom? Come on, give me a hint."