Chapter 9 - Will

"So you couldn't get the head off?" Will snickered as he drove down the highway to the motel.

Ander glared at him but stayed silent. Will told him over and over that precision and a sharp weapon wasn't enough. Ander wasn't as strong as he was. It took practice to get it on the first or second swing. Ander didn't enjoy that type of training like Will did, so although he did it, there'd been no regularity to his schedule.

Will pulled into a parking space, glad they'd decided to spring for a motel on this mission. Sometimes they stayed at campsites or slept in the SUV, but now that they had a normal with them, it was better to have a room. Easier to question the witness enclosed in four walls. He and Ander carried the woman into the room, held her up so it looked like she was drunk and they just helped her. His phone vibrated as he closed the door. Will handed the female to Ander to answer his phone. He tried to ignore her intoxicating scent of cloves and fresh leaves.

"Yeah," he answered gruffly.

"Where the hell are you?" Mason's husky voice answered him.

"You get my text?"

"Yeah, why'd you pick a fight with demons?"

"Why wouldn't you pick a fight with demons?" he quipped.

Ander laid the female on the bed. Why'd he do that? He was supposed to tie her to a chair.

"Fair enough, but why'd you go back to the room?"

"We have a witness. I wanted to ask some questions."

"For fuck's sake, Will, we don't have time for this bullshit. We are on a mission," she grumbled.

"I know, I know, but its been days and we're still trying to find the fucker. I was restless. You know how I get,"

"Yeah, yeah, I know." she paused. "Its better you stay in the room tonight. Question your witness,"

Will furrowed his brows. That was odd for Mason. He'd expected either more shit from her, or at least anger about them coming back to the room. "Ok, you good for now?"

"Yeah, I will keep watch," she replied.

"Good hunting, soldier," he responded automatically and ended the call.

Ander sat on the other bed and peered at the woman. Will's eyes strayed to her face, her rosebud lips. He remembered her mouth, wanted to taste her. Not the time for that. Maybe if she checked out, he'd show her a good time, but first things first.

"So you see what happened back there?"

"Do you mean with the female?" Ander asked.

"Yeah, something knocked those demons over, was it her?"

"I believe so. I of course did not witness, the initial use of her power because we were both arriving on the scene," Ander paused.

Will looked at the ceiling and forced himself to hold his tongue. It annoyed the fuck out of him when Ander talked like that. Weird and too formal. Most of the time, he remembered to speak more casually. It was only when Ander was stressing, on guard, or problem solving he sounded that way.

"However, based on the second time, when both you and the demon were knocked over due to her actions, I would say yes."

"Ok, what'd she do?" Will asked, impatient to get to the point.

That's what he needed to know before they talked to her. Maybe she was a magic user of some type, or a humanoid monster.

"After her initial panic, she opened her eyes and looked at you. The demon was about to strike when she called out with her hand extended, like this." Ander held up his hand with his palm, facing out like he was waiting for a high five. "You and the demon were knocked back and down. I believe she was attempting to protect you." Ander finished.