Three - The Gala

Hey Upper East Siders, Gossip Girl here, wondering if you are at the party of the year.  The Westfields have become the "It" family of the Upper East Side thanks especially to heiress Ellie Westfield.  Miss Westfield has really made an impact and has made their annual New Year's gala the event where anyone who's anyone has to have an invitation. Hmm... wonder if that included a certain bad boy who's been off the radar for most of the year...

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Carter entered the ballroom with Caroline on his arm, taking note of the elegance of the room.  Obviously Christian Westfield's wife had excellent taste.  The room wasn't overly decorated but it screamed sophistication and wealth.  The flowers were everywhere but in shades of white.  Against the dark blue tablecloths and gold lined dinnerware, they seemed delicate, as if they were in a garden instead of the Empire State Building.

Carter followed his parents towards the receiving line to greet Christian.  "Ah, Gregory!  So happy that you could make it."

"Thank you again Christian for the invitation. May I present my wife, Lydia, my daughter Caroline and of course you know Carter."

"Carter, nice to see you again.  Lydia, Caroline, a pleasure.  My wife, Anastasia," as he gestured to the brunette next to him.  He looked over Anastasia's shoulder as she greeted their guests and muttered, "I wonder where El is. Doesn't matter."

"The room is gorgeous Anastasia," Lydia complimented.

"Thank you. You know..."

Carter started to tune out the conversation. He wished he could go back to being a nobody. The New York elite that had assembled for this party was the reason why he had walked away two years ago.  Of course, he got sucked back in but hey, money is needed to move the world, especially his.  He surveyed the room, hoping to make a quick exit after meeting the Westfield heir. Gregory finally directed his family to their table.  Caroline spotted some friends and moved to say hello, leaving Carter alone at the table with his parents.  He decided to glance around the room.

He spotted a beautiful woman from across the room.  Dressed in a stunning, empire waisted red floor length gown covered in crystals with a sweetheart neckline, her dark blonde hair piled on top in a French twist with tendrils around her face, made up classically and a bright red lip. Really, all she was missing was the crown. She was beautiful and he needed to know who she was.  He watched as Nate Archibald escorted her around the room. Well damn, Archibald complicated things. 

They stopped around Serena, Blair, Chuck and Dan.  Serena was in a gold-colored strapless gown while Blair opted for a classic one shoulder black number.  All the men were in tuxes with Chuck wearing his signature scarf.  He scoffed. The enemies he made the previous year. I'll just wait, he thought to himself.  She'll be alone eventually. He watches her laugh and smile at something Chuck said.

He was desperate to know who this gorgeous creature was.  He saw Nate leave her side with a kiss of her cheek and walk to the bar. The others of her group drifted away, and she was left alone a moment.  He saw this as his opportunity. He straightens his own three-piece suit and headed for the angel in red.

"I've never seen a more lovely young lady before," he said approaching her.  "Carter Baizen." He extended his hand.

"Elizabeth Westfield," as she also extended her hand.  He took her hand a pressed a kiss on her knuckles.  She blushed at the gesture. So, she was the one his father wanted him to get to know.  Excellent.

"It's an honor to meet you, Miss Westfield.  I've heard nothing but good things about you."

"Really? From whom?" Ellie was intrigued at how this stranger knew about her.